Chapter 26

When it was time for Tre and Nicole to go back to school. Josh decided to have a little talk with him.

"Remember what I said", Josh said. "Don't go around there acting like somebody you ain't. I'm not saying you're a punk because your aren't but you don't have to make dumb decisions like..killing somebody or fighting somebody to prove that you are man. What makes you a man is that you stick by her side, you know what's right and whats wrong and you don't let your emotions control you. Understand?"

"Yes sir", Tre said.

"Alright then", Josh said as he pat his back.

"...can I ask you a question?", Tre asked.

"Yea", Josh said.

"Mrs. Carter is still with Jamal right?", Tre asked.

Josh made a face for a quick second then answered his question. "Yea. Why?", Josh asked.

Tre shook his head. "Nothing", Tre said.

"Okay, well time to get y'all to the airport", Josh said as he got up. "Nicole is waiting in the car we all know she's a little impatient"

"No lie", Tre said.

Josh and Tre went outside and got into the car.

"About time", Nicole said as she sat in the front seat.

"Be quiet", Josh said in a serious tone. "You got a smart ass mouth and I been letting it slide. You need to stop"

Nicole sighed.

Josh started the car and he drove to the airport.

———————————

When Nicole and Tre got back school after dropping KJ off, Tre drove Nicole to her building.

"You gonna be good. You need me to help you bring your bag up?", Tre asked.

"No", Nicole replied.

"...what time is your first class?", Tre asked.

"8", Nicole replied.

"Damn. I wanted to walk you to class but that's early", Tre said. "But I'll do it anyway"

"Why?", Nicole asked. "Why would you do that when I can just see you later?"

"Well, you had Elijah blocked all break and I don't know I just wanna make sure you iight", Tre said.

"Tre...that's sweet but it's not your job", Nicole said.

"It is", Tre said.

"But we aren't together", Nicole said.

"It doesn't matter", Tre said.

Nicole looked out the window.

"Just...tell me if he does anything", Tre said.

"Okay", Nicole said as she continued to look out the window.

Tre stopped looking at Nicole and looked forward. "...hell maybe we can talk about getting back together", Tre said. "I can work on things"

"...I know people change and they don't always stay the same", Nicole said before looking at Tre. "But... I don't think this Tre, is the Tre that I want"

Tre looked at her. "Seriously?", Tre asked.

"I dated you in high school because you were different and you stayed to yourself. But now you hang around a lot of people and now your fighting and killing people?", Nicole asked.

"I wasn't thinking", Tre said.

"Well then I'm afraid of what else you'll do when your mad and not thinking", Nicole said.

Tre looked away.

"I'm sorry Tre. I do...I do lo-", Nicole stopped herself and sighed. "I just wanna be friends okay?"

"...i respect that", Tre said. "But how is me defending you, something you don't like?"

"How you handled it!", Nicole shouted. "Just like Kobi. I don't wanna be the blame again as to why somebody else that I care about dies"

"I told you I'm not going to handle things like that again", Tre said.

"See you tomorrow", Nicole said changing the subject as she opened the car door and got out

"Whatever Nicole", Tre mumbled as he popped the trunk.

Nicole shut the door and got her things out of the trunk and shut it. She walked into the building, then Tre drove off.

Once she got upstairs into her room. She was the only person there because Makayla wasn't back yet.

"At least I got some peace and quietness", Nicole said as she put her bag on her desk.

She climbed into her bed and scrolled through Instagram. As she did that, Danielle began calling.

"Hello?", Nicole answered.

"Girl, where you at?", Danielle asked. "Elijah is looking for you"

"Is he around?", Nicole asked.

"No", Danielle replied. "He just walked away"

"I'm here but don't tell him that", Nicole said.

"Why not?", Danielle asked.

"Because.. just don't," Nicole said.

"What happened with you guys?", Danielle asked.

"Long story. Just please never tell him where I'm at even if you do know", Nicole said.

"Okay", Danielle said with concern in her voice.

"Thank you", Nicole replied.

"Well can I at least come to your room? I'm bored", Danielle asked.

"Yea. Come on", Nicole said.

"K. Coming", Danielle said before hanging up.

Once Danielle got into the room with Nicole, Danielle began to rumble on stuff like she always does.

Danielle was looking in the mirror as she talked. Girl, I have the worst break. So my sister decided that she move back into the house with her four kids. When I say I got no rest, I got none", Danielle said before looking at Nicole.

Nicole didn't look like she was paying attention. She just looked like she was thinking about something and sad.

"You okay?", Danielle asked.

Nicole looked at her. "Yes I'm fine", Nicole said.

Danielle hopped onto the bed with Nicole. "No you aren't", Danielle said. "What's up? What's going on between you and Elijah?"

"What makes you think that's what I'm upset about?", Nicole asked.

"Well now you just told me you're upset, now I have to find out why", Danielle said. "What is it? Something happened over break? Something with Tre? Elijah? Makayla?"

"I'm fine. Seriously", Nicole said. "I was just thinking about all the school work I have to get done, that I didn't do over break"

Danielle knew she was lying but decided to go with the flow anyway. "Girl, I don't know who these professors think they are assigning shit over the break", Danielle said.

"Tell me about it", Nicole said.

Danielle looked at Nicole for a moment as she tried to think of every possible solution of what was wrong with her. All she knew was Elijah and her weren't on good terms anymore so she didn't stress Nicole about her mood because she thought that they had just stopped talking like any normal reason that everybody else goes through. You know like being unfaithful, not a person's type, etc. Only thing is, Danielle felt like it was more to it.

TO BE CONTINUED...