Chapter 16

Later that night, Nicole put Raelynn down to sleep while Tre was putting KJ to sleep.

"Goodnight, Rae", Nicole said.

Rae just looked at her with her sleepy eyes.

Nicole smiled and walked out the room and left the TV on. As she walked into the hallway, she heard Tre whispering.

"I know it hadn't hit you because honestly, you've been doing good without me. But I'm sorry that I wasn't there for you like I should have...I guess I panicked and everything was happening so fast and I was scared I wasn't going to be a good father to you...I didn't have one, so I didn't know how to be one...but that isn't an excuse...it's excuses when it comes to you ...not anymore", Tre whispers. "You are a amazing human being from what I see so far and you're going to do amazing things in life"

Tre looked over at KJ and he has fallen asleep. Tre shook his head and smiled. He kissed KJ's forehead and made sure he was tucked in. As Tre was about to walk out Nicole was walking away down the hall, toward the stairs. He caught up with her before Nicole stepped down the first step.

"Hey, Nic", he said

Nicole stopped and looked at him.

"Before I go, I just wanna apologize for lying again and honestly I'll be happy with whatever decision you choose to make. Whether it's with me or someone else", he said. "I know me coming up here and you seeing me, fucked up your mood from the jump. You were doing fine without me"

Nicole looked down.

"I guess that's why you wanna keep it that way", he said. "And I understand"

Nicole looked at him. "Did I miss you? Yes...was a angry? Damn right...but I realized that...well I've changed and so have you. We aren't the same people anymore and we can't live off of the past. We can be friends, I'm tired of being angry. As far as a relationship? No. We're just thinking about how things were a few years ago. Not how this might be now"

Tre nods. "Understandable and true", he said. "And I respect it"

"...and I'm...KJ might not have heard you in there but I did..and I think he forgives you because I do", she said with a slight smile.

"Thank you", he said. "...but imma head back to the school. You sure you'll be okay tonight by yourself?", he asked.

"Do you know who my father is? I am my father's daughter", she said.

"You ain't a gangsta", he said.

"I'm more of one than you", she said.

"Girl, please", he said.

"Tre, you're a clown", she said. "You're a jokester.. corny one at that"

"Around you", he said with smile. "Don't catch me out there in the streets"

Nicole giggles. "Go to school", she said.

Tre chuckles as he looks at her smile. "Iight", he said as he looked up at her eyes. "Goodnight", he said.

"Goodnight", Nicole replied.

Tre walked downstairs. "Lock this door", he said.

"Mhm", she said.

Tre left.

Nicole walked downstairs and Kim came out her room and didn't the same.

"Y'all cute", Kim said.

"What?", Nicole asked. "What you know about people being cute together?"