Chapter 42

Nicole was working the cash register at Josh's business.

"My feet hurt daddy", Nicole said.

"You've only been standing for two hours", Josh said. "Better yet, when you get your first paycheck, buy you some shoes that are going to be comfortable to stand-in"

"But my whole check is going to go to daycare", Nicole said.

"Well, you better find a side hustle. Because you need to buy yourself food and other little stuff that you need", Josh said.

"Since when was that part of the deal? You just told me all I have to do it pay for daycare", Nicole said.

"Let's not forget diapers, clothes, and food for KJ", Josh said.

"Really, dad? You really gonna do me and your grandson like that?", Nicole asked.

"Like what? Giving you some responsibility?", he asked.

"You know what fine. I'll sell drugs on the side", Nicole said normally, but she was joking.

"I wish you would", Josh said.

"I'm playing, dad", Nicole said.

"Listen, you were the only one who made that baby. Tre will help you too", Josh said.

"Okay, but he needs his money for school", Nicole said.

"He has a baby. Time for him to man up. It's more than just spending time with him and watching him here and there. He's in his life now and he needs to act like it.", Josh said as he walked to the back.

Nicole sighed.

Suddenly, a guy with a hoodie on walks in. Nicole could see his face and it was Jakobi.

"What?", Nicole asked.

Jakobi leans on the counter and sighs.

"What's going on?", Nicole asked.

"Nothing. I got bored and decided to come to talk to you", Jakobi said.

"I don't know why", Nicole said. "I don't even know who you are anymore"

Jakobi just looked at her.

"You spent all this time hiding from us in the same city as dad and suddenly you just become bad at hiding?", Nicole asked.

"I've been in Georgia alright?", Jakobi said. "And I came back because I missed you guys... I didn't have to let Tre see me. I just knew he had the biggest mouth in Miami"

"So you wanted to be known? Even though you cut him, for almost telling me that you were alive, you wanted to be known?", Nicole asked. "I don't believe that"

"I didn't cut for that", Jakobi said. "It isn't any of business so don't ask"

Nicole shook her head and rolled her eyes.

"I just wanna know why you let some nigga walk all over you", Jakobi said. But by the tone of his voice, he was upset.

"Tre doesn't-"

Jakobi cut her off. "I'm not talking about Tre. I'm talking about Elijah", Jakobi said.

"...I was scared", Nicole said.

"So you just rather have been raped and thrown around like you were some ragdoll? Do you know what he was going to do with you after he got tired of you?", Jakobi asked.

"No, and I don't wanna know", Nicole said.

"So stupid", he said.

"Listen, I did not wanna tell anybody because I didn't want anybody to end up like how I thought that you ended up like... and Jamal did", Nicole said with tears rolling down her eyes. "I was going to find a way to get away from him, eventually. I just did not want anybody, especially my son, your nephew, to get hurt because of it"