Chapter 48

The next morning, around 7 Josh and Jakobi were up. Jakobi, Clarissa and the baby stayed there last night.

"I'm surprised you stay here", Josh said.

Jakobi was sitting on the counter. "Well, I can't afford a hotel", Jakobi said.

"Oh yea. That reminds me. Last night you said you guys needed help but the last time I recalled you didn't need anyone's help", Josh said.

"...that was about something different", Jakobi said.

"Would that explain the bruises on your skin ", Josh asked.

Jakobi was quiet.

"And get off my counter", Josh said.

Jakobi sighed and got off the counter.

"Why does the baby look like she's been sleeping in bed bugs?", Josh asked.

"That's...what I needed help with?", Jakobi said. "We aren't living good...basically we're struggling dad and...I fucked up"

"Watch your mouth", Josh said.

Jakobi sighed. "She's pregnant again and we definitely can't afford another baby", he said. "I'm scared"

"Scared? The big bad wolf scared??", Josh asked.

Jakobi chuckled. "You sound like- you sound like mom when she found out I was in a gang", he said.

Josh looked at him.

Suddenly, Jakobi started tearing up and he quickly wiped his tears.

"It's okay, Jakobi", Josh said.

Jakobi looked down. "I'm sorry for acting the way I have been toward you", Jakobi said. "I guess I've just been mad at myself and the only person I thought to take it out on is you. The only one who would brush it off I guess"

"...let me ask you something", Josh said. "Where are her parents?"

Jakobi shrugs his shoulders. "I don't know. They aren't on good terms", he said.

"Okay and so what help do you want from me and your mother?", Josh asked. "Because once you leave the nest, you're supposed to be on your own. You left the nest, started a little family, can't afford the family, and now you wanna come back? Not because you miss us, but because you need help?"

Jakobi looked down.

"Do you know how bad your mother felt?", Josh asked.

"I didmiss you guys. I was just scared to come back", Jakobi said.

"So what changed?", Josh asked.

"...I met some people and they helped me learn how to protect myself and stay out of the way and in the shadows", Jakobi said.

"In shadows? See I like people to see me coming", Josh said. "But then again that wasn't nothing to say to you. Ignore that"

Jakobi shook his head.

"Moral to the story is...just like Nicole is doing right now...going to school and working... you need to do something productive too if you're going to stay with me", Josh said.