Chapter 40

Nicole walked into the house and Josh was sitting on the couch. He looked at her and noticed her pants were a little dirty.

"Why is your pants dirty?", he asked.

"I fell", she said.

Nicole knew that if she told him that she got shot at because of Tre then that would lead to him finding out that she saw Jakobi and she just didn't want that headache.

Josh looked at the T.V. "Whatever, Nicole", Josh said. "I don't even wanna know"

"Where's KJ?", Nicole asked.

"Sleep", Josh said. "And speaking of children, mine are grown now and watch themselves. KJ, is my grandson and love him to death and I'm happy to watch him anytime that I want to, not when you want me to. School isn't an excuse. So you and Tre need to step it up for the break. I'm not a full time babysitter"

"Tre went to work", Nicole said.

"Good. He can buy things for KJ", Josh said.

"He also has to save for school dad", Nicole said.

"A box of condoms cost how much? 7 dollars? Hell you can even get them from free. So he should've brought that from the start then", Josh said.

"Okay, dad", Nicole said as she started walking toward the stairs because she didn't want to hear anymore.

"I'm talking to you", Josh said.

Nicole sigh and turned around.

"You need a job too", he said.

"You just said you want me to take care of KJ, which I do and I have been doing as much as I can, so how am I going to get a job and you work too dad?", Nicole said.

"Daycare", he said.

"Do you know how much daycare is? If I get a part time job that will be my whole check or more", she said.

"It's called responsibility", Josh said.

"I won't have any money for myself", Nicole said.

"Yes. Because you have a responsibility that you made and you need to maintain", Josh said.

Nicole nods. "Alright", she said. "I'll just asked mom to help me with paying it then"

"You can do that all you won't but she won't do it if I got something to do about it", he said.

"Dad, you're so complicated", she said.

"I like to call it, love. In the real world, when you're out there alone, it won't be so easy", he said.

"Right. Okay. Note taken", Nicole said as she turned to the stairs. "I guess I'll look for a job then"

"I already got you one", he said.

She looked at him again. "Where?", she asked

"With me", he said.

"Dad? I'm not working at a car mechanic shop", she said.

"It's job right? All you have to do is work the counter", Josh said.

Nicole sighed.

"For a month", Josh said.

"Okay, dad", she said.

"Alright. You can go now. Just remember to set your alarm at 6am for tomorrow", Josh said.

"Dad? 6am? Really?", Nicole asked.

"Hey, it don't matter when you wake up. As long as you get in the car by 7 o'clock", he said.

Nicole sighed and went upstairs. The first thing she did was check on KJ. He was sleeping peacefully. Then she went into her room and sat on the bed and took off her shoes. After doing that, she decided to call her mom.

"Hello?", Asia said after answering the phone.

"Hey, mom", Nicole said.

"Hey, whats up?", Asia asked.

Nicole sighed. "Dad got me working with him for the break", Nicole said.

Asia chuckled.

"It's funny?", Nicole asked with a straight face.

"Yes. I didn't think he was serious when he told me", Asia said. "But this will be good for you. Learn a little something about cars and maybe you can finally get one"

"You said after this semester and if I make good grades and I did", Nicole said.

"I think I said after the school year and besides, I had to put out a lot of money for Jamal's funeral", Asia said. "I can't afford to buy you a car right now"

"Mom, you always have money stacked up", Nicole said.

"Yea and I wanna keep it that way. When I get extra money then I'll get that car if you do right", Asia said.

"Okay mother", Nicole said.

"Alright. So, how was your day? Did your dad ever help you with whatever he was talking about?", Asia asked.

"Um...Tre did actually", Nicole said.

"What was it?", Asia asked.

"Nothing", Nicole said.

"Mhm", Asia said.

"I have question", Nicole said. "How did you feel when you saw dad for the first time in years?"

"I don't know. I had so many different emotions", Asia replied. "But for the most part I was happy"

"Yea...sometimes I wish the same for Jakobi", Nicole said. "One day, he would do the same"

Asia was quiet. She wanted to cry, because she felt like a failure as a parent all over again, but she held it in.

"Mom?", Nicole said .

"Yea. But sweetie, Jakobi is gone", Asia said.

Nicole sighed.

"But if I he could come back, I'd do anything to get him back", Asia said.

"I would too", Nicole said. "But Goodnight"

"Goodnight baby", Asia said.

Nicole hung up the phone and put it down on the bed.

————————————
(WITH ASIA)

Asia was on the phone with Nicole as she stood on the balcony. Once Nicole hung up, she looked out at the city. The city she grew up in and began to miss so much. It did bring back bad memories, but memories that she didn't want to run away from anymore.

Kim came outside with Asia. "Hey", Kim said.

"Hey girly", Asia said.

"Somebody is as the door", Kim said. "It's some boy"

Asia made a face. "Why did you answer the door. Why didn't you come and get me first?", Asia asked.

"I'm sorry mom. I just answered it", Kim said.

Asia and Kim walked back into the room and asia walked to the door and opened it but nobody was there. She stepped into the hallway and looked around and still didn't see anybody.

Asia walked back into the room and shut the door and locked the extra lock.

"Don't do that anymore okay?", Asia said.

"Okay", Kim said.

"Go to bed", Asia said. "I have some things planned for us tomorrow"

"Okay", Kim replied as she walked to one of the beds.

Outside in the hallway was Jakobi. He was going to go talk to his mom after hearing what Nicole and his dad said but the courage that he built up went down the longer he waited at the door after Kim went to go get Asia, so he hid around the corner.

Jakobi walked to the elevator and went to the first floor and left.

TO BE CONTINUED...