Chap. 68 (Sword fight)

I tried killing this guy like how I did to the other demons. But it's useless. He doesn't have any element like me, therefore, we technically don't have any mana in us.

And I also can't pressurize and squash him to death because my mana core is still broken; I cannot gather that much mana.

In the end, a sword fight It is then.

"Get ready, buddy," I mumble to my sword.

I felt a sudden resonance and excitement coming from the sword when I said that.

I smile at the mysterious attacker and he frowns.

"Tch." He clicks his tongue and glares at me.

Should I wait for him to attack?
He's footwork tells me he has no intention to attack first. While he is gripping that sword with only one hand, the other hand can be used to grab side weapons like daggers for ambush attacks.

His stance also seems to be a combination of two fighting styles. I can't exactly remember which but he has his left foot forward while extending his sword out and pointing the blade at me using his right hand. Weird...

I decided to attack first and see how he reacts. I gave him a very obvious attack by swinging from the side. He ducks and attempts to thrust the sword through my chest but I side steps and dodges the attack before going in for a slash across the neck to decapitate him.
He somehow managed to twirl his body mid-air and deflected my attack away before somersaulting and regaining his posture.

Amazing! This guy has good footwork.

Unfortunately...

I point at his legs. It's bleeding from a cut.

His posture becomes stiff and he starts to sweat. That's to be expected.
After all, he has never seen me actually cutting his leg. I just used a small mana blade and cut him when he was deflecting me away.

Good. Now he is panicking a little and his guards are up now.
Not knowing how one gets an injury will lead to serious anxiety. After all, if you can't even see or know how your opponent did it, you are doomed.

However, I can't kill him with just mana blades, he will find out and disperse the mana. He is...probably a Seikirei so he can still overpower me if he gathers an immense amount of mana. I suppose he doesn't know I have a broken core huh...

And as for my sword, the condition to devour another soul is to at least inflict a cut or injury on that opponent. This guy's footwork and speed are incredible, making it quite difficult to hit. I need to throw him off more and make him panic, make him feel hopeless...

And let him reveal a weakness!

After a long intense staring contest, I finally say "Why not you go ahead and attack me instead."

He starts shaking from uncertainty. Not knowing what I will do.
But I suppose he also needs to hurry this fight up and can no longer stay here for too long. I don't know where he comes from but his objective is clear.

He grips his sword harder and dashes towards me with his sword up high. His posture is breaking down. I suppose he rarely attacks first.

I dodge sideways and he goes for another swing, making me duck.
He did not stop though. He goes for a constant continuous barrage of sword attacks, making me dodge every single one but...he is losing stamina. I can feel him barely even trying to grip the sword properly.

He tries to finish things off by jumping into the sky, with his sword held up high, He aims to use the momentum and kill me from above. He also enhances his speed and strength while in the air with mana.

Seeing how hard he is trying, I smirked and immediately jumps up towards him.

A very obvious weakness indeed.

Me jumping and becoming on the offence is unexpected to him.

Because his hands and sword are still high up. He wasn't able to block or deflect this attack.
I immediately slash through his abdominal in the sky and land on the ground with a satisfying crash.

A beautiful fountain of blood rains from the sky around. I look at the sword. The moment I kill him, the sword greedily devoured the soul.

Everyone is just staring at my bloody appearance.
"What?" I ask.
"Ah! Uh, no, nothing. Anyway, now that this problem is cleared, we should look for Polan." Says Sylvia.
"You go ahead. I have something to do with the corpse over there."

Sylvia looks at the soldier beside her and he nods.

"Alright."