Seventy Five

Benjamin was sitting in the library during his free period, double-checking his work for his homework.

Katen walks by, chuckling to himself. Benjamin looks up, rolling his eyes.

Katen stops, "Dark circles are looking good, Benjamin. Did you give up the makeup? Can't sleep at night?"

Benjamin ignores him, looking back down as some of Katen's friends begin laughing. He shakes his head acting like they aren't there.

When the group finally walks away, Benjamin grabs his bag, grabbing the pill bottle discreetly. He takes two pills, before looking back to his homework.

Gabi walks in, smiling. "Hey, Benny. Sorry, I had to stop by the office".

Benjamin smiles, "It's okay. Hey, are you going to Elly's basketball game next Friday?"

Gabi shrugs, "I guess so. I mean, it'd be rude not to, why?"

"Everyone wants to hang out after. You have the biggest house so I was wondering if you'd be down?"

"Of course. Who's all gonna be there?"

"The group...And Jazmyne and her friends".

Gabi shrugs, "Okay. I'll ask my parents, I'm sure they'd be down".

Benjamin smiles and nods, "Good cause apparently Elly and Lucas already somehow got loads of alcohol".

"Sounds like them. Hey, you think everyone is cool with me? I'm trying really hard to stop fucking up".

Benjamin nods, "I'm sure. Come on, we're all your friends".

**
During lunch, the group all decided to eat together. Elly and Benjamin walk to Noah's car together. Benjamin gets in the passengers' seat, leaning his head against the door.

Noah looks at him, smiling. "Princesa? You okay?"

Benjamin nods, "Tired. Been up all night trying to figure this coding".

Noah nods, grabbing Benjamin's thigh. "Don't stress...And don't overwork yourself, okay?"

Benjamin nods and smiles. "I won't".

Lucas and Gabi get into the car as well. Lucas laughs, continuing the conversation he and Gabi were having.

Elly looks over, "Oh. So you two are speaking again?"

Gabi shrugs, "We're still friends. All friends make mistakes". Lucas nods, "Mhm".

Elly shrugs and shakes her head, "Good. Ya was throwing the dynamic off".

Noah chuckles, "God, Elly, is there a day where your accent isn't so strong".

Lucas chuckles as well, repeating Elly. "Throwing the dynamic off".

Elly rolls her eyes and smiles, "Fuck all ya".

The whole car starts laughing as everyone repeats the way Elly said 'all'.

They all decide to go to Panera for lunch. Noah was holding Benjamin's hand as they were ordering. Once they finished ordering, they all sit down.

Benjamin sits on the inside as Noah sits by him, throwing his arm around his chair. Elly and Lucas sat across from the two as Gabi sat on the outer side.

Benjamin opens his soup, smiling. "God, I'm starving".

Noah smiles, taking a bite into his sandwich. Gabi sits up, "Oh! By the way, my parents will be out of the house next Friday so it'll be perfect".

"Sweet. And you're fine with Jazmyne and her friends coming?"

Gabi nods, "Yeah. I just hope she's okay with me being there".

Elly nods, "I told you. She's cool with you. It's aight".

Benjamin sets his spoon down, rubbing his eyes to keep him awake. Noah looks over, rubbing his back. "You're really tired, bebesita?"

Benjamin yawns and shakes his head. "I'm okay, sorry".

Once lunch was over, both Elly and Noah stayed inside the restaurant to use the restroom. They both walk out and Elly nudges him. "Aye bro, can I ask you a question?"

Noah nods, "Wassup?"

Elly stops him in his tracks, "I gotta ask you before we get in the car".

"Everything okay?"

Elly shakes her head, "Nothing with me. Just wondering if everything is alright with you and Benjamin? He seems kinda...Off".

Noah looks at her, "You've noticed too? I thought I might have been overreacting but...He seems distant and he's always tired and shit".

"I mean you told me he struggles with mental health...Maybe it's that?"

Noah shrugs, "I've been asking him. Checking up every day but he hasn't really said anything. I don't know what to do".

Elly nods, "I was just wondering. He just doesn't seem like himself".

"Yeah. I'm gonna keep checking and making sure he's okay. Not sure...Kinda feels like he's holding this huge secret...Like he doesn't trust me".

Elly pats his arm, "Hey. I'm sure it's nothing big, aight? Come on, we gotta get back".

**
Ms.Evans walks into the house, seeing the kitchen empty so she goes upstairs to Benjamin's room.

She sees Benjamin at his computer, typing away. His leg was jumping up and down and he was extremely focused.

"Hey, baby".

Benjamin looks over, smiling. "Hey, mom. What's up?"

"About to cook dinner. How was school?"

"Good. Getting really excited about the competition...It's kinda stressful though".

Ms.Evans nods, "I know you'll be good, baby. Dinner in twenty".

Benjamin nods and turns back to his computer. Ms.Evans walks back in, "Hey, I actually have a question".

Benjamin nods and looks over. "Hm?"

"I had a headache the other night and when I was in the medicine cabinet, I noticed your old pills were missing. Do you know if we threw them out?"

Benjamin blushes and shrugs, "I-...I'm pretty sure we threw them away once I stopped taking them".

Ms.Evans nods, "Okay. Just wondering".

Benjamin nods and turns back to his computer. Ms.Evans shuts the door and walks downstairs.

Benjamin takes a deep breath and covers his eyes with his hands. He shakes his head and looks back to his computer, continuing to do his work.

**