Chapter 19

The group ended up getting lost on their way to find Kakashi and Team 8.

"Hold it," Yamato ordered holding up his hand, they stood on a cliff staring down at the forest down below. "According to the procedure, Kakashi should have left signs for us to follow.

"Well, I don't know about anything else, but I haven't seen any signs," Sakura said.

"That's great," Naruto groaned. "You think maybe he forgot that we're supposed to be following him."

"No, he's not like you," Sakura denied. "We have to assume something happened to his team."

"Sai," Yamato said. "Get airborne and take a look around for me, will ya? Take Aceso with ya."

"Right away, Captain," Sai agreed. He unrolled a scroll. " Ninja art, Super Beast Scroll." he put the art brush in his mouth, clapped his hands together, a bird shot out of the scroll. He and Aceso jumped up onto Sai's flying ink friend, they flew off looking for signs. 

"See anything?" Sai asked.

"No," Aceso answered.

"Curious," Sai said. "I don't see the search squad or any signs of their trail either."

"What's that?" Aceso asked leaning over. 

"Huh?" Sai asked looking in the same direction.

"Down in the water," Aceso said, Sai took them down farther.

"Camellias?" Sai asked. A heavy mist ran past them.

"Strange," Aceso said as they flew back towards the others. They saw that Naruto was no longer on the cliff.

"Where's Naruto?" Sai asked once they landed.

"He had business to take care of," Sakura said in annoyance. 

"We found some of Shino's insects," Yamato informed.

"We better find him," Aceso said. They found him standing in the mist. "Brother Naruto!" He looked back at them then back forward.

"Naruto, come on," Yamato ordered walking up with Sakura, and Sai. "We've found some of Shino's insects. We need to follow them."

"Coming!" Naruto responded looking back at them.

"What have you been doing out here?" Sakura demanded. 

"Sorry," Naruto apologized jumping up to them. "I ran into someone. We were, uh, talking. "

"Hm?" Sai asked.

"Never mind, he's just making it up," Sakura said. "Look, there's nobody around here for miles."

"Hey, I'm not making it up," Naruto said.  "He was here, I'm tellin' ya, just a second ago. I don't know where they went." They ran off falling Shino's bugs into the forest, they came to a stop by a barrier of crystals. 

"What is that?" Naruto asked.

"It's a crystal," Yamato answered.

"This is the enemy's Jutsu," Aceso added. "But on such a massive scale."

"Ok, Sai," Yamato said facing him. 

"Right," Sai said opening a scroll. "I'm already on it." He flew up to get a bigger look at what they were dealing with. About two minutes later he came back with a report.

"As I thought," Yamato said.

"It's at least a kilometer across," Sai reported. 

" A kilometer," Yamato repeated. "This is the work of a highly skilled opponent.