48

Lucia

Tita and Mang Gary picked me up in the airport as soon as I arrived. I sighed in relief when Mang Gary took my luggage and the other bags I was holding because it was so heavy and I really wanted to rest my arms and my feet.

It's my fault that I have many bags with me but I wanted to give everyone in our house souvenirs. So, that's on me. Haha.

Pauwi na kami ngayon. At first, akala ko sasama si Cameron para sunduin ako pero she was not there. Inisip ko na lang na baka she's having one of her tantrums and decided to stay in the car pero wala din siya dito.

It's not like I'm disappointed that she's not here. Hindi ko naman sinabi sa kaniya specifically na gusto ko na sumama din siya sa airport sa pag sundo sa akin.

" How's your visit, Lucia? " Tita asked.

" It was fine.. I guess. " I laughed sheepishly. " Anyway, tita. Aren't you busy today? You don't really have to pick me up.. "

" No, dear. I am also going home today too and my business meeting is near the airport so it's no trouble, really. " she smiled.

Come to think of it, Mom and Tita had a strong resemblance. Well, they are sisters so so to speak...

I miss Mom.

" I heard from Liz that you're going transfer school next year? "

" Opo... " i took a deep breath. " She insisted that I live with her new family but I don't really want to... "

" Why don't you just stay here, then? You know you're always welcome. " Tita sounded concern. I hate to make her uncomfortable with me being gloomy.

" I really want to stay here, tita... but I was offered to study in Harvard by Tito Cailou's connections.. I don't want that opportunity to go to waste and I'm planning to get my own place near my school, hopefully."

On Christmas Eve, I received a call from Tito Cailou. He heard from my Mom that she wanted me to live with her new family since maraming magagandang school sa California for my college. He then, told me and my Mom that he will talk to his friend from Harvard so that I can get a recommendation from him when I get in to college. Pero next year Grade 12 pa lang ako so, that remaining year will be my preparatory stage for Harvard.. I might take bridging classes too.

My grades are top notch and I really do have a great track record. For me, being independent is always the top priority. That's why I agreed to living with Cameron's house in the first place, because I know with Mom's new found life, I can't live there and focus on my studies.

I want to make a name for myself and be independent. I'm done pleasing others just so that I can get a validation that I'm doing good. And besides, when i went to Mom's and her new family's house i felt like a total stranger.

Maybe I am a stranger all along. I mean, i am adopted so it would make sense that my relatives thinks i'm an outsider.

" I see. " Tita nodded. " I know you can do great things, Lucia. You are a very exceptional lady. "

" Thank you, tita. " i forced a smile. " Nasan po si Cameron? I kind of assumed that she's going to be here.. "

Whenever Cameron does a thing that would make my blood boil, especially her Mother's, Tita would make these faces that greatly emphasizes how she is done with her daughter's bullshit.

" Cameron got in to an accident... "

" What?! For real! " napatayo ako sa loob ng kotse and Tita settled me back to my seat.