EXTRA CHAPTER: NAOMI AND FRIENDS

Naomi

People say that I have the affinity to attract troublesome people. They always like to point it out every time they see me with my friends.

Of course, I'll laugh it off and tell them that it's not the case. I just have friends with very interesting personalities.

When I was in Grade 8, masasabi ko naman kasundo ko lahat ng mga classmates ko. Lagi nilang kinakausap at iniimbitahan sa mga lakad nila, pero madalas din akong tumatanggi.

Maliban sa pagiging strikto ng mga magulang ko, there's a part of me that is always unsure about joining them. Oo, mabait silang tao pero hindi ko alam kung nababagay ba ako bilang kaibigan nila.

I just felt different, i guess.

My reputation as the girl who befriends troublesome people started when I met Yoi and Joe. Our classmates even called me once as the shepherd. Nagpapastol daw kasi ako ng mga masasamang tupa.

I didn't like how they labeled my friends, so I immediately told them to stop. Yoi told me that she's okay with it because it was just joke, but for me it's not.

They are not even troublesome nor bad people. Hindi lang talaga nila siguro kilala si Yoi at Joe.

Yoi is a very frank person. She never holds her tongue with people so she often gets in to trouble with our classmates who have huge personalities.

She's very feisty and likes to push people to their limits, so not everyone from our class gets along with her.

To be honest at first, I was quite afraid of her too.

Since she's the type of person who is very opinionated and speaks her mind freely, I was also conscious about what she thinks of me.

I still remember the first time we had a conversation. Uwian na namin noon, and I stayed to clean the room.

Our school didn't require students to clean their classrooms because we have janitors for that, but I feel bad if i left the room untidy. I always make sure to pick up the trash and arrange the seats, just so that the janitors would have less work to do.

Yoi caught me in the act. Alam ko na wala akong masamang ginawa pero I was startled when she saw me.

Tinanong niya ako kung bakit daw nandito pa rin ako sa school. I told her that I was cleaning up and she just nodded her head knowingly. Akala ko aalis na siya pero sinamahan niya ako hanggang sa matapos ako maglinis. She was watching me like a hawk, kaya I felt uneasy.

But from that moment, It became clear to me that Yoi and I are probably going to be friends when she asked me this question.

" Why are you nice? "

Yoi asked. She just asked my why am I a nice person. The question caught me off guard but it gave me the opportunity to explain— no, rather, to show who I really am as a person.

Contrary to popular belief, I am not what they called the ' Girl Next Door'

I told her. " I won't say that I'm a nice person."

" Then why are you always helping people out? You're very friendly to all people you meet. " she asked

" Well, I am not necessarily friends with them. I am friendly to you, but we are not friends-friends. "

" Hmm. You're right. "

Yoi was not offended when I told her that we are not friends. Still, my conversation with her is the first real talk I had, concerning about who I really am.