25

Cole's POV

"Your family love you." November whispers up at me and I shake my head a little down at her.

"My family are proud, they are never going to be rude to my face."

"Cole, they were so nice. Like so nice to you." She says as we walk over to a little empty round table, by the patio. It was next to the band, but they weren't too loud or anything, it was a nice area and I needed a moment to escape my family.

"They were nice to you too." I chuckle and place my hand on the small of her back, guiding her to take a seat.

"Mhm. And it didn't even seem fake."

They were unbelievably nice.

I was prepared for coldness, hostility, judgement.

I got 'I missed you's' and kind hellos and warm welcomes.

I was overwhelmed, I guess.

"You haven't met my siblings yet." I remind her as I sit down next to her, they're not as proud, but Alice especially was not my biggest fan.

She looks up at me and studies my face a little. "You're still stressed?"

I move my chair closer to hers, our legs turned facing each other.

"This is just a lot."

"Okay." November says softly and our eyes turn back towards the party.

There were over a hundred people here, easily. Some family, most businesspeople from each of my parent's work.

They were all mingling, sat round tables, stood talking around the bar and admiring the way the singer's sung next to us.

The ambiance was relaxed, sort of. A little uptight but everyone was just mingling.

Suddenly I feel her fingertips against my face and I turn my face back towards hers. November was staring at me and sometimes, sometimes I think I see a ghost of something more cross over her features.

The way our eyes sometimes connected, I felt so close with her.

Like I knew her so well, despite the fact I knew I didn't know her at all. Not deeply, not in the way I wanted.

But sometimes when we touch it's almost as if that is there, I don't know.

I might just be seeing things that I want to see.

It didn't mean it existed.

November's hand spread and she cupped my cheek and I turned my head and placed a kiss against her hand.

"Cole." She whispers and I nod. "You don't need to be stressed; your family meant it when they said all those nice things."

We had talked to my Mum and my grandparents first and then my dad joined us with his two brothers. My mum then took November and I around the garden and reintroduced me to everyone.

Grandparents, cousins, Aunts, family friends.

"How would you even know that?"

"I just do. I know when people are insincere."

I stare down at her and I don't care where we are, I lean down and place a small kiss on the corner of her mouth, pulling away immediately.

"November, I am sorry you are having to support me tonight. You really don't need to. Like for fuck sake I said I would be here to support you."

"Honestly, this distraction." She gestures around us. "Has helped me. And I want to support you, we are friends Cole. I, well if you are supporting me then I will always be supporting you back."