Part 34

Ananya's P.O.V.

"Is it hurting too much?" I asked. "Don't bother, just clean it," he said. I nodded and went back to the waterway. I washed the cloth and came back. I touched the wound again and he grabbed my shoulder tightly. As I cleaned it, his fingers dug into my skin. "Ahh..." he moaned in pain but I covered his mouth. "I know this is hard. But you can't make any noise. If they hear us, we will be in trouble. And you wouldn't be able to fight in this state," I said softly. "I can be how wounded, I have to carry out my duty. And my duty is to protect you," he said. I was touched to see his dedication to his work. I took out my jacket and tied it around his waist as a bandage to stop the bleeding. I took his hand in mine and tied it with the handkerchief. I went to the stream and washed my face and hands. It was freezing. I went and sat opposite Avinash and looked at him fighting to stay awake. "Weren't you scared when you saw that knife?" I asked. He chuckled and said, "That was just a knife, I have seen worse." "Don't you feel afraid?" I asked. "We are mafias. Fear isn't for us," he said. "But fear is a sign of being human. You can feel scared. Even if you're a mafia," I said. He looked at me silently. "I'm sorry," I said after a few seconds. "For what?" he asked. "For how I behaved earlier with you," I said, "I guess I am just too worried about Arohi." "I assure you that wherever she is, she is safe," he said. "But I am her sister. I will still worry about her. It's my duty and right," I said. "Deep will never allow anything to happen to her," he said. I nodded with a frown. "You really love Deep, don't you?" he asked me. I looked at him taken aback for a while at his sudden question. I remained silent. "You know that Deep and Arohi...." he said and stopped. I nodded and said, "I know." "And you aren't feeling bad?" he asked. I smiled and said, "I am. But I am more happy for her. She's my sister. But what really surprised me is that Arohi managed to make Deep forget a girl like me." "Arohi is like that. When she came here, nobody could stand her. But her nature changed everything in Raichand building. She filled that place with so much happiness that it's impossible to remove," he said.

I smiled and said, "She is like that. Silly! Crazy!" "You aren't less crazy," he said. I looked at him and bent my head smiling. "I am crazy. But just a little more sane than Arohi," I said and giggled. He also laughed and then held his wound saying, "Ouch!" I went to him and held his shoulder asking, "Are you alright?" He nodded. "It seems strange when you laugh," I said. He looked at me with a frown and asked, "What do you mean?" I rolled my eyes and sat down next to him. "I'm sorry," I said with a frown. "Can I ask you one thing?" I asked. "No," he said. I frowned and sealed my lips and remained silent. He looked at me feeling restless and said, "Fine! Ask." I smiled and asked, "Is it in your job contract that you cannot smile?" He glared at me angrily. He leaned his head back on the tree and closed his eyes. I looked at him silently and got a bit worried. I went closer to him and stared at his face. I placed my finger at his nostrils to see if he was breathing. "I'm not dead!" he said. I quickly removed my hand and looked at him. He didn't open his eyes. I smiled. He's not as bad as I thought. I yawned and began to feel sleepy. I closed my eyes and leaned my head on the tree trunk.

Deep's P.O.V.

I went to Mr. Kashyap's room and sat on the side of his bed. I looked at his unconscious self. "I'm sorry Arohi. I couldn't protect you, your sister or your father. Today, all three of you are in danger because of me," I said. I looked at the wall and saw a picture of the two daughters and their father. I went and looked at the picture. I left the room and went to Arohi's room. The room was empty. There were none of Arohi's belongings. I sat on her bed and bent my head low. Her message came back to me as her 'I love you' echoed in my ears. I wonder what she must be doing right now? I pulled out my phone and called the temple's number but hang up. I can't talk to her. I laid back on the bed and closed my eyes. Is she missing me? Is she thinking about me? Perhaps not, she has all those children around her. She probably won't be thinking about me.