Part 64

Ananya's P.O.V.

We reached back at the building and I was waiting for Deep and Arohi to come back. I still had Avinash's wallet with me and was getting restless thinking that he must be worried about it. When I couldn't help my impatience anymore and Avinash's worry, I decided to return it myself. I left my room and went up to his. I stood outside and contemplated for a minute on if I should go inside or wait for Deep. I knocked on the door and waited. It opened and Avinash stood and looked at me surprised. His hair was ruffled and his clothes were messy. "Come in," he said. He turned around but I stopped him saying, "No thanks." He face me back. "I came to give you this," I said stretching my hand out with the wallet. He looked at it and sighed. "Thank God! Where did you find this?" he asked relieved. "You dropped it at the temple," I said. "Thank you so much! You don't know what help you have done me. I was so worried. I was searching so much for it," he said. "It's ok," I said. "Please, let me do something for you. Please," he requested. I looked at him frowning. "It's ok," I said and turned around. "Please," he pleaded. I turned back. I was feeling a bit guilty for not agreeing so I said, "I'll have a glass of water then." "Sure, come in," he said smiling. I stepped inside and looked around his apartment. The entire place was ransacked. I looked at him silently as he chuckled nervously. He showed me the wallet and I understood. "Can I help you neaten back the place?" I asked. "Uhh...no, it's ok," he said. "I won't mind," I said, "Who else would do it?" "If you wish then. I'll get the water for you," he said. I looked around and began picking up all the sofa pillows on the ground and packing them neatly. I went and began packing away all his books on his shelf. He had tons of novels. "Here's the water," he said from behind me. I turned and took it saying thank you. I drank it down and gave him back. He left. I looked at all the romantic novels he had and was surprised. "I didn't know that you read romantic novels," I said. "I don't. They are my wife's," he said. He came back to me. He smiled sadly looking at them and said, "She loved these books."

"Me too," I said sadly. He looked at me surprised and asked, "You read?" I nodded packing them back. "I thought that you only knew to do makeup," he said. I smiled and said, "You have misunderstood me a lot Mr. Avinash." "I really have," he said softly. I looked at him with a frown. I don't know why I wasn't feeling uncomfortable with him today. Perhaps because I won't be seeing him ever again after tonight because tomorrow we are leaving. After packing them away, I went to the drawers and began packing all the files he had took out. "What made you think that your wallet would be in these places?" I asked. "I am wondering the same thing," he said. "Can I ask you one thing?" he asked. "Hmm..." I hummed. "How did you know that this wallet is mine?" he asked. "The picture inside told me," I said. "Sonia's picture," he said. "Yes," I said. "Thank you," he said again. "It's not a problem," I said. "After such a long time, you are normal with me," he said. "We are leaving tomorrow. Maybe that's why. I don't want to separate on a sour note," I said. "Then, does this mean that we can be friends?" he asked. "Friends? For one night?" I asked. "Even if it is for a few hours. It will lessen my guilt," he said. "On one condition," I said. "Yes," he said. "I will cook you lunch," I said. He smiled and said, "Ok then. Friends?" He stretched his hand out and looked at me with a small smile. I hesitated a bit but shook his hand saying, "Friends." "So, shall we start?" he asked. "What?" I asked confused. "Cooking!" he said. I smiled and said, "Let's go." As we were about to enter the kitchen, I remembered my phone in my bedroom and decided to go back for it. "Avinash, I forgot my phone, can I go back for it?" I asked. "Yeah, sure," he said. "I'll just be back," I said. I left his apartment and as I was going downstairs, I bounced into someone. "Sorry," I said stepping back and was completely stunned as I looked at the person standing in front of me. "Can't you watch where you're going?" she scolded me rudely. She looked at me annoyed. I still was in shock at who I was seeing before me. "Sonia," I whispered in disbelief. 

She looked at me and fixing her hand bag on her shoulder, she said, "Yes? Who are you?" I stood liked a ghost, struck with shock. I felt a hand on my shoulder and soon, Arohi came and stood besides me. She looked at me confused. "What's wrong?" she asked softly. "God knows where these fools come from?" Sonia said irritated flipping her hair and walked past us. "Excuse me," Arohi said turning around. She walked away from me and closer to Sonia. "I don't think that you have any right to talk to anyone like this," she said. I turned and went to her quickly. Holding her hand, I said, "It's ok. Let's go." "No, it's not ok. Who is she to insult us like this?" Arohi said annoyed. "Arohi, let's go," I said gritting my teeth. "Hold on," she said. She looked back at Sonia and said, "What did you say? Where do fools like us come from?" She smiled sarcastically and said, "We come from the same place you come from. Before you speak about someone or you speak to someone, learn some manners. You look educated and high classed. That doesn't give you the licenses to insult others." "Oh please! Keep your preaching for someone else. I don't need someone like you to lecture me," Sonia said rolling her eyes. "Why don't you just...." Arohi yelled but before she could continue, I pulled her away with me. Once we were at a distance, she looked at me and complained, "Why did you pull me away? You should have let me answer her back!" "No need! Just stay away from that woman," I warned. "Why? I don't fear anyone!" she said. "Arohi, do you know who she is?" I asked. "An unmannered and very disgusting and disrespectful woman!" she said. I rolled my eyes and said, "She's Avinash's wife!" I said. She looked at me as shocked as I were. "What!" she said bewildered. I nodded. "Avinash married a hog like her!" she said. I glared at her and said, "You should say that." "Ananya, look at how disrespectful she is!" she said. "That doesn't mean that you become like her then," I said. "I will talk to Avinash then," she said and walked away from me. "Arohi!" I said walking behind her.