Part 38

Avinash's P.O.V.

I woke up a bit earlier this morning and ordered a bouquet of flowers for Ananya since Deep asked me to do so. I collected the bouquet at my door and went to her apartment. I stood and knocked on the door. "Come in," she said. I opened the door and walked inside with the bouquet. Her face brightened and her eyes sparkled seeing the flowers. "Good morning," I said walking to her bed. I rested the bouquet on her side table as she greeted me back. "Thank you. They are beautiful but you didn't have to," she said smiling. I frowned and said, "I didn't buy these. Last night Deep sir asked me to bring you a bouquet." She slowly frowned. She looked disappointed. "What's wrong?" I asked. She had a very small smile on her face and said, "Nothing. In that case, tell Deep thank you for me." I nodded and said, "I'll take your leave now." She nodded. I turned and began walking to the door when the nurse came inside with her breakfast. It was a bowl of soup. I remembered last night and smiled. I turned around and saw that she was looking at the bouquet sadly. I took the tray from the nurse and said, "You can go." I went and stood next to her bed and rest the tray on her lap. "Enjoy your breakfast," I teased her. She smiled and looked at the bowl. I smiled a bit satisfied at her happy face and left. 

Ananya's P.O.V.

I frowned on my bed looking at the flowers. "I'm so stupid! What was I expecting? That Avinash brought those flowers for me? Deep sent the flowers and I got excited for no reason. But why did I feel bad that he didn't buy them?" I asked myself feeling sad. I looked at the bowl of soup on my lap and smiled a bit. Then I remembered! "I am so stupid! He came to me to ask about my wellbeing and I didn't even ask about him. Even he got injured for me. But no problem, when he comes this evening, I will ask him," I said. I looked at the flowers. There was a knock on my door. "Come in," I said. Deep opened the door and came inside.

Deep's P.O.V.

I entered Ananya's room and saw her sitting on the bed. "Good morning," I greeted her. "Good morning," she replied. "How are you feeling?" I asked. "Much better," she said. I looked at the bouquet of flowers on her table and said, "Nice flowers." "Yes. They are beautiful. Thanks so much for them," she said. I looked at her confused. "Why are you thanking me? I didn't send them," I said. She looked at me confused and said, "But Avinash said that you sent them." I smiled. Shaking my head, I said, "No, I didn't send them. They are from Avinash. I only advised him to bring you flowers this morning but as much as I know Avinash, I knew he wouldn't do anything like that. But even I am surprised to see that he bought the flowers." She smiled brightly and looked at them. "Were you expecting flowers from me?" I asked. She looked back at me with a face sparkling with happiness and said, "You don't need to take the trouble." I smiled and said, "I'll take your leave now. I have to go to work." I turned around and began walking to the door. "Deep," Ananya called. I turned back to her. "Can you tell Avinash thanks from me?" she asked. "I think that it would be better to tell him yourself. He's a very shy person. He must have taken my name so that he doesn't feel awkward in front of you," I said. She bent her head and smiled. "Bye," I said and left. I stood outside her room and shook my head. "Avinash, you are impossible. You told her that I sent those flowers!" I said. I went downstairs and Avinash was standing at the car. I went to him as he opened the back door for me. I closed the door and took the key from David. "I'll drive," I said and went to the driver's seat. Avinash sat with me in the car and I drove off. While driving, I asked, "Why did you lie to Ananya?" "What lie have I told Ananya sir?" he asked. Looking forward, I asked, "Why did you tell Ananya that I sent those flowers?" "But sir, you told me to carry those flowers," he said. I shook my head. "And I know you. You would never do anything that you aren't comfortable doing. Then what has Ananya done to you in two days?" I asked.

He remained silent for a while and said sadly, "Ananya has done nothing to me sir. I am only grateful to her for taking the bullet for me. That's it. I am the same Avinash as I was yesterday and six years ago." I frowned. "That incident has past six years ago. How long will you carry it with you?" I asked. He looked out of the window without saying anything. "It's not a crime to fall in love Avinash. Look at me, I always thought that I would never feel a useless emotion like love. But Arohi managed to change that. Ananya can change it for you," I said. "I don't want to discuss this!" he said sternly and a bit annoyed. I heaved a sigh and drove the car. We reached the campus and Avinash left the car and went inside. I got out and looked at him entering inside without telling me anything. "How long are you going to lock your heart away?" I asked. I closed the car door and walked inside and went to my office feeling dejected by Avinash's behaviour. He came inside and began briefing me with all my appointments and meetings. I looked at his hang down face. When he finished, he said, "If you need anything just call me sir." He turned around to leave but I stopped him. He turned back to me. I got up and went to him. Standing in front of him, I said, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said those things to you. I thought that since I am away from Arohi, I know what it feels like to be lonely. But perhaps, I will never understand your loneliness." He looked at me sadly. "Can I get a hug from my brother and assurance that he has forgiven me?" I asked. He smiled at me and embraced me. Breaking the hug, he said, "I'll take your leave now." I nodded and he turned and left. "You have a lot to do Ananya. If what I am thinking is right, and you are starting to like Avinash, you have a lot of work to do. It's not easy to break a stone hardening for six years. But I'm sure, that if you are sincere to him, this stone will soften," I said with a frown and hope, "I want my old Avinash back."