24. Two Lights

Lucette had said her goodbyes to both Eros and Mai, and headed straight back to hers. But, she couldn't help but get the feeling that someone was watching her. Hugging the books, she walked faster. Turning the corner, she bumped into someone, and one of her books tumbled out of her arms.

"Oh! I'm sorry!"

She apologised, while looking up, and saw a man that she has never met before, but in some way he looked very familiar.

"It's fine." He spoke in a nice manner, but there was something kind of chilling about it. She watched as he bent down to pick up her book. "Ah.. Murder on the Orient Express. Good book. Are you a Christie fan by any chance?" He handed the book to her, and Lucette noticed that his right hand was gloved.

"I just started reading her books." She smiled at him as she took the book off him. He didn't smile back at her, and something was really getting to her. His mannerism was completely different, but the general look of him was more or less the same.

"Ah, well, any of her books is good. If you ever get the chance, I suggest seeing her play, The Mousetrap."

"Oh... I kind of wanted to see that but it's..."

"The longest running play in history..."

"It's also in London..." Lucette half laughed.

"Ah... Hmm..."

Lucette watched as the man looked like he was thinking. She has only known this complete stranger for not even five minutes, and she was having a conversation with him. Well, I suppose all friends were once strangers..

"I should get home..." Lucette told him as she was about to move, however she felt something bone chilling run down her back, and that made her shiver. A hand lightly grabbed hold of her arm. Looking back, she saw the same man looking at her, she searched his face for some emotion but he showed nothing. "Erm...?"

"I think it's best if you....." Lucette watched as he trailed off and tilted his head slightly, he looked like he was listening. "Heh..."

"Excuse me?"

The man let go of her arm. "Wait here..." Before Lucette said ok, he walked in the middle of the road, with no care in the world, bent down in front of a bush, and then came back again. "This guy can escort you home."

"Huh?" Lucette looked over and, in the man's hand, was a very scruffy looking black bird.

"Unhand me!"

Lucette's eyes widened as the little bird spoke, wait a second that..... bird.

"Then stop lurking in bushes!"

"Why are YOU here anyway? Now unhand me!"

Lucette was gobsmacked at the scene that was playing out. Corvus, in his bird form, was in the hands of a man she didn't know, how he was talking to. Did that mean? He is another?

"I think this belongs to you..."

The man grabbed her hand and placed the bird in her free hand. She looked down at the bird. His feathers were all skew whiff, and he was glaring at the man.

"I'll be back later..." The man began to walk off, leaving Lucette genuinely confused.

"Back later, my ass. Rude.."

Corvus' mumbling caused her to look down to him in her hands.

"Do you know him?"

"Well.... Yes..."