40. Mephisto

Corvus waited for the first strike, but no matter what, it didn't come. He generally wondered if he was already 'gone' before the knives struck. But, opening his eyes, he found out the reason. Hovering just above him was the pure black 'cloud', it was constantly moving around and he could make out just the flashes of red.

"Well, that isn't exactly very nice of you to do now, is it?"

Painfully turning his head, Corvus saw both the source of the voice and the cloud. Standing just a few metres away from him was Nocte, he had his hand out, but he was staring directly at 'Eros'.

"I had total control of this..." Corvus spat out at Nocte, who briefly looked at him and snorted.

"Clearly..." The older man turned his attention back to 'Eros'. "Now, for the question on what you are...."

"Oh, so Princely boy did show up... I was half expecting you not to..." 'Eros' mockingly announced.

"Don't.... Take him lightly...." Corvus warned Nocte, but as he did so, he lost all the energy he had left and fell sideways.

"Unbelievable...." Nocte sighed and, with a slight movement of his hand, the dark cloud enveloped Corvus' form and transferred it further away. "However.." He glared at the red eyed 'Eros' again. "I don't take kindly to those who wish harm on a woman..." His eyes narrowed, and at that moment that his entire body was enveloped in darkness. It wasn't long until most of where they were standing was enveloped, but only the sand where 'Eros' stood was untouched.

"Y'know, at least those 'boys' had the common courtesy to try and ask for my name. You? You just straight up try to attack me..."

"On the contrary... I know exactly what you are..." Nocte's voice carried out, his humanoid form was no longer seeable.

"Oh? Do pray tell, would you."

"A mistake..."

'Eros'' eyes widened as Nocte's voice came from behind him and, in that split second, he was impaled by a black sword like object. As 'Eros' fell to his knees, Nocte's legs slowly materialised in front of him. Kneeling on the balls of his feet, Nocte stared at 'Eros' and, using his hand, grabbed his face.

"How? You shouldn't?"

"Heh...." Looking directly at Nocte's face, his eyes glowed a deep red. His usual green colour is hardly noticeable. "Because I can use it better than you..... And, well..." He grinned evilly. "I'm just that better."

As Nocte said that, darkness started to envelope both of them, until they could be seen no longer.

---

Earlier

A man sat on a bench underneath a tree, reading a book. He felt a slight shiver down his back.

"Hmmm..."

Something, small and white, was curled up behind him. Laying under a blanket, the creature perked his head up.

"Vic? What's up?"

"A disturbance in the force...."

The small creature tilted his head and, as he did so, the blanket fell off, revealing a very tiny horse.

"Please don't quote movies.... It doesn't suit you, Victus..."

Victus looked down at the horse.

"Heh..." He snapped his book shut, which in bold letters said 'Dictionary' and stood up.

"Whoa, is something up?" The little horse questioned as he saw Victus get up.

"Finis...." Victus firmly said, looking down at the horse. "I will be going somewhere. Head home and wait for my signal."