47. Say, I love you

-----

A dark, hooded figure sat on a rock, flexing their right hand. As they were doing so, a little dark portal opened up and outstepped a white horse. The horse made a face and walked up to the figure's side.

"Vic, there you are. I wondered where you went." The horse said to the figure.

The figure turned their head, and removed the hood. Staring back at the horse was Victus.

"Is there something wrong?" Victus asked his companion.

"Oh, no. Not really, I just kind of wondered where you did go, after you left those boys in my care."

"Then, I assume everything went ok?"

"Totally, their memories were wiped up to a certain point. Neither the girl or the boy remember anything about that little meeting with our good old friend."

Victus eyed the horse up. "There is something else..."

"Huh? Oh... I suppose there is, it's just the marks that were left by Mephisto. They just weren't really leaving. The black veins, I mean."

"I see...." Victus turned away and looked down at his ungloved right hand. "It was only a small strand, they should heal in no time..."

"Hmmm... That's what I thought anyway...." The white horse fidgeted a little. "So how is... Y'know?"

"Gathering themselves up, they should be fine in a few days."

"I see..."

"Anyway, Finis..." Victus turned his attention to the horse. "I am going away for a bit, I need to look into the mysterious death of that teacher. Keep an eye out on the charges, would you?"

Finis smiled at him. "Totally! It'd be my pleasure..." Finis bowed.

"Thank you..." Victus said while getting up and walked off. Finis watched him leave, before he sighed.

"Such a terrible burden......" He mumbled, before disappearing back through his portal.

-----

A small robin flew down and perched itself on the other side of a small pond. It stared into the water below, wondering if it could find its next meal beneath the surface.

"I don't think there is any little fish in there for you, little man...." A girl said to the bird in a calm voice.

The bird turned its attention to her, and took off into a nearby tree. The girl's gaze followed him as he flew up there and she smiled.

"Talking to a bird, I see..."

A male voice, directly behind her, called out and she turned her head.

"Well, I thought I would inform him there is no little fish in there for his dinner..."

"Well, that, and Robins usually eat berries... But, I suppose, you take what you can take..."

The girl smiled at the man and turned her head back.

"That is true, by the way...." She turned to face him again. "Casus.." The girl said the man's name, and he looked at her with a surprised look on his face for a moment, before he smiled gently.

"Yes, Lucette?"

The girl, revealed to be Lucette, laughed to herself.

"While I appreciate you saving me from that creature, I do think it's maybe time to go back?"

"Ah... You're probably correct on that one."

"Also? I'm not going to ask what grandmother you are related to... If it would be Aria or the one I have been told about, that is your business and your business only, in my opinion. I mean you didn't really have to tell me that you had nephews. But I appreciate it that you did, so thank you..."