38. Reveal

After Casus had left Lucette's room, he materialised in a lonesome meadow, the chirping of the birds was all around him. An elk casually walked by, keeping his ears and nose on the lookout for danger. Casus heaved a heavy sigh and stared down a puddle of water. A pair of blue eyes looked back at him.

"What am I even doing anymore?"

He mumbled and turned his attention to his own hand. With a flick of his wrist, a card materialised. He then eyed it up, but he didn't flip it over.

"What sort of place is this?"

A voice sounds from behind him and, turning around, he scrunched up his face in annoyance as he pocketed the card.

"Can I not have some peace?"

"Just indulge me, would you?"

Casus narrowed his eyes as Nocte stepped towards him. He looked awfully smug for some reason.

"Even if I said 'no', you would still say it..."

"Probably.."

Casus raised his hand at the other man. "However, I need to say something."

"You just did."

Casus stared at him blankly. "Really?"

"Oh, fine, say your piece then..." Nocte muttered waving a hand in his direction.

"That girl, she spoke about her mother... Like, she was still alive. Isn't that.... Odd to you?"

"You're asking me that? I thought you knew a lot of stuff..."

Casus looked away. "Actually that girl is void to me. I cannot see any strings of fate involving her."

"Must be 'his' doing then, but even so.. It seems impossible, but all I can say is that 'he' placed fake memories, but the whole issue of you not seeing anything... Now that is interesting..." Nocte moved his hand towards his chin and began to think.

"Actually.... Ever since the twins have been hanging around her, I cannot see them either..."

"Oh?"

"I used to see just tiny amounts of them. But now? It's like they don't exist anymore."

"Wait... 'He' didn't have the power to block..... How peculiar...."

"Shouldn't you be more concerned?"

"No? I don't know my fate. I take it as it comes. So, it will be the same for them..." Nocte shrugged.

"Heh.... I just don't like it..." Casus turned away. "Although... She is interesting."

"Interesting... Hmmm?"

Casus moved his head, and staring right at him was Nocte with a smug look on his face.

"What nonsense are you on about?" He moved his hand, and forced Nocte's face away.

"That her scent is all over you. Now what have you been up to then.. Hmmmm?"

"Just being around her gets her scent on us, y'know?"

Nocte made a face, and sniffed his jacket sleeve. "No, not for me. However, it might be different for you, it seems.... Didn't I warn you?"

"Stop stirring up useless crap..."

Nocte laughed.

"Tch..."

Casus began to leave, but a hand on his shoulder stopped him.

"Can I count on you if the worst is to happen?"

Casus sighed.

"Trading in that favour now?"