Chapter 11 Analysis

And then I remembered thinking... I'm about to beat this bitch up.

Cronus and Thanatos' interactions are drastically different from their encounters in the Red Dawn

Thanatos wanted nothing to do with Cronus in the Red Dawn, much like he doesn't in the Black Dawn, but how he responded to Cronus contrasts with the now. Thanatos was more guarded and timid when he visited Cronus about the sickle before, jumpy even. He wanted to get the hell out of there and get away from Cronus, not only because of the slight fear he has for him, but the memories he displaces from his very person.

Cronus embodies the era of the titan war. The fall of an empire. The rise of an new one and the over all obsessions and training Thanatos had to go through to get where he is now. And he doesn't want to remember those things.

Thanatos still shows a little alarm towards Cronus, not that he will ever show or admit it. It was more apparent in the Red Dawn then here. And to see someone that he's looked up too since he was a boy, it was unsettling from his usual calm and frightening chilling disposition. Something must have happened to the sickle.

Cronus doesn't necessarily fear Thanatos, not in the way everyone else is in any case. He has an odd way of expressing himself through digging and grasping onto any insecurity that anyone bleeds. Kind of reminds me of Ares, though he isn't too smart for all that.

Before, Cronus literally made Thanatos run away because of Aurora. His imprisonment only makes his senses more hyper aware. So if he smells even a slight trace of woman on him, that would feel like an overload of sensation to him since he has been deprived of it for so long.

Now, onto the fact that Cronus isn't allowed to have anything of writing, it's for good reason. For those who don't understand why doesn't Thanatos let Cronus just kill himself or kill him its for two purposes: punishment and advantage. Thanatos prolongs Cronus' lifeforce as a torture device because Cronus has nothing to live for in the tiny prison box he has been placed in, and he won't be getting out anytime soon because Thanatos is smarter than that. Thanatos would be a fool to let Cronus loose for any reason. So as castigation? Let him wither away as time goes by, watching him bleed out slowly into madness, ash, and bones.

There's also the fact that Cronus can be useful when he wants to be. He may know somethings Thanatos doesn't given how long he has lived for. But, that's about it.

Thanatos' dodging the reason why he needs the sickle, and Cronus shares our curiosity as well, if he had his father's dagger, why would he need his sickle as well? Isn't one weapon with the power of killing an immortal enough?

Let me tell you, something that Nyx said in her point of view made me think more about the reasoning for finding the sickle. She said:

"His paranoia had become insufferable...

No one could kill him. What in hell was he scared of?"

So, it's apparent that Thanatos has the same problem that Cronus and Zeus had, that all rulers have at one point of their lives. They question everyone around them motive and start to think deeper about what if someone was plotting against them. Thanatos is smart, he know he is unstoppable. But.