Not Alone

I wanna know that I'm not alone.
Like how many other people around me are going through the same thing I am?
Depressed just as much as me.
Are any of my classmates secretly so sad that they don't wanna get out of bed or go to school?
They wanna be a hero so bad but feel like they won't make it.
It seems like all my classmates are so happy and motivated to be top heroes once they graduate.
I wanna be a hero too but my depression drags me down.
Pretending everything is ok will only get me so far; I know that.
I'm just scared for the day when someone sees through my facade.
What will everyone think when they do find out?
Life can be a bitch sometimes, but I find that the best people can be a bitch.

"(Y/n) you look so pretty today."
"Thanks Toru. I've been working on my make-up skills. I can't show up to school with bags under my eyes can I?"
The girls laugh at my joke but it isn't a lie.
I've had bags under my eyes for weeks now. I don't sleep well at night so I started using make-up to cover it up.
It looks natural but I add hints of color once in a while.
To cover up the scars I use bandages and pretend it was from quirk practice.
Of course no one suspects a thing.

When classes are over for the day everyone goes back to the dorms.
I put my stuff in my dorm and change into a long sweater and short shorts. I go to the roof and make sure no one else is around. I sit on the ledge and look out over the city.
The sky is colored from the sunset.
"I won't let it get to me. My depression does not define me. I will overcome and be a hero. Think of the friends who would cry."
But would they cry? Of course they would, but not for long. They'd get over it soon enough.
Tears stream down my cheeks.
"I have to be strong. I can't let them see. I have depression and it won't-"

"(Y/n) what are you doing on the roof?" A familiar, angry blonde asks.
I jump at the sudden presence behind me. "N-Nothing. Just uh...studying."
"With no books?"
"I meant practicing. Gotta go beyond right? Plus ultra. My quirk isn't as powerful as everyone else's so I gotta work harder than anyone else."
Bakugou scoffs. "Your quirk is powerful; you just have to unlock its potential."
I blush softly.  "Thanks but yours is so much better. I know you work hard but this is all so easy for you. Sometimes I wonder if you have any flaws besides your cockiness. Which I don't think is always a bad thing. I'd call it confidence really, everyone else calls it cockiness. I'm sorry I'm rambling."
Bakugou looks away sadly as I do the same. "Hey dumbass I..."
I look at him quickly, waiting for him to continue.
"Nevermind. You shouldn't be up here. Go practice somewhere safer."
I smile at his concern and nod. "Will do. Thanks for worrying about me."
"I wasn't worrying about you dumbass. You're strong and don't need anyone to worry about you."
I blush softly and look away. "I'm not strong, but thanks."

"(Y/n) stop that." Bakugou scolds, using my real name, not just a mean nickname.
My eyes widen in surprise at the sudden anger in his voice.
"You're not the only one who's struggling. Depression is a bitch but that's why you have to be a bitch back. When life kicks you down you can't stay down. That's why I'm so cocky. I've been attacked by villains countless times now. I couldn't let that get to me so I decided to use those experiences to grow stronger."
Tears stream down my cheeks.
Of course he's been hurting. Why didn't I see that sooner?

Without thinking, my feet run me to Bakugou and I hug him tightly.
His body stiffens and his eyes widen.
"I'm sorry I didn't see it sooner. Of course you're hurting too. I know you don't wanna talk about it but I know it will help. Look at me, ranting about me when your problems are worse than mine."
"Stop invalidating your issues. You'll never overcome them if you push them away." Bakugou yells, pushing me to arms length.
I was surprised to see tears streaming down his cheeks as well.
"We can't pretend like other's issues are worse than our own."
I smile softly and nod. "Then let's work through them together. And I won't take no for an answer."
He was taken back by my sudden burst of confidence. "Shut up extra. I can-"
"I don't wanna hear it. I'm gonna help you whether you like it or not."
He growls quietly and looks away. "Whatever extra. I don't care."
I kiss his cheek gently. "I'm here for you Katsu. For when you're ready."
He looks at me and smiles slightly. "And I guess I can be here for when you need a swift kick in the ass. Just to show you, you can be a hero too."
I giggle softly and nod. "It's a deal."