CHAPTER 54

It's been four weeks since we moved. It's a weird place. It's almost castle like where we are. I lean on the old boards, they feel thin, frozen by hundreds of winters and baked by hundreds of summers. It smells of dust and age. It's bigger than the last house, a house that most American kids dream of growing up in, including myself. Hundreds of rooms and corridors. I still get lost.

I spend my days drawing and reading in their small library full of fantasy and history books. I found Sawyers office and his small library full of medical books. I sometimes hide in there.

I make my way to the second living room which is in the middle of the castle connecting the right side which you can enter the tower from, the kitchen, and dining room. The left side of the castle is full of rooms and hallways.

I look out the window as I walk down the tower, it looks gloomy outside. It's supposed to snow in the next few days.

"Look who finally came out of the tower." Avery smiles.

I look around the living room. Christmas lights are strung up on the ceiling and the biggest Christmas tree I've ever seen is fully decorated standing in the corner, near an old fashion grand piano.

"When did we get a Christmas tree?" I question. I didn't think we would be doing anything for Christmas. I need to get them gifts.

"It came this morning." She claps her hands. "Isn't it beautiful?" She stares at it. I can't help but imagine Sawyer playing the piano as his family admires the tree. Evan did say this was their childhood home. "We just have to decorate the inside."

"Is there any food?" I question. "Ask Nancy." She points to the kitchen. Oh no, not Nancy. She's here.

I slowly walk into the kitchen and she's slicing up some fruit.

"Opal, is it?" She questions and I can feel the tension. I know she hates me, ever since she caught Sawyer and I.

"Yes." I nod, not really knowing what to say.

"Breakfast is at seven am sharp. Lunch at twelve on the dot and dinner is at seven. If you miss a time you miss a meal." She starts chopping the fruit more aggressively. I nod, trying to remember the times she just stated. I slowly walk out of the kitchen and accidentally bump into Evan.

"Nancy." He says in a deep reprimanding voice. She stops chopping and places her hand on her hip, giving Evan an annoyed look. "Sawyer warned you." He says. Sawyer warned her to be nice to me? Oh no. That's going to make her hate me more.

"Excuse me." She says to Evan and she turns to me. "I'm sorry. What would you like to eat?" She questions and I turn to Evan who is watching Nancy closely.

"I can make myself cereal." I smile.

"Suit yourself." She shrugs and goes back to cooking. Evan shakes his head in disapproval and sighs deeply.

"Love you, Nancy." He says, before he walks out,

"She'll warm up to you." He whispers to me and leaves the room. I quickly make the bowl of cereal without making any contact.

"Thank you." I say out of nervousness and walk out of the kitchen.

"Did you thank her for a bowl of cereal you made?" Evan asks, an amused smile gracing his lips.

"She makes me nervous." I whisper and he laughs.

"Don't let her get to you." He smiles and I nod.

"Hey, do you know where there are stores near by?" I question.

"Avery is going out to town. I'll drop you two off." He walks off before I can nod.