CHAPTER 83

Three weeks have gone by. My stomach is slowly growing but I'm still able to hide it underneath big shirts and sweaters. I can't sleep, it's five thirty in the morning. I head down stairs and lie on the couch.

Sawyer walks in carrying a duffle bag and pushing a suitcase. I sit up and watch as he places everything by the door.

We look at each other but don't say anything.

Is he going somewhere?

He looks away angrily and bends down to zip up a back pack.

"Wait, Sawyer. Don't go yet!" I hear Avery yell from upstairs. She rushes down the steps and gives him a hug. "I hate that you're leaving. Especially for a few months." She says and I look down when Sawyer catches me staring.

He's leaving today? So soon?

"Will you be able to call us from Arabia?"

"Yes." Sawyer answers like she's a child.

"Take lots of pictures."

He doesn't even turn to look at me. He checks to make sure he has everything he needs in his pockets and I watch, his back to me as he walks out the front door. Not a single wave, half smile, not even a see you later, or a dumb remark.

You let him walk out the door, your heart racing. He knows I hate goodbyes. I don't need a goodbye from him. He'll be back soon, like Avery said, he'll be back in a couple of months.

I lie back down on the couch and shut my eyes, but I'm still unable to slow my beating heart.

"You know, if he loves it over there they might ask him to stay there full time." Avery is standing over me and I peak one eye open.

"Full time?" I swallow hard at her words.

"Opal, stop being so stubborn. You can't just let him leave!" She shouts and my heart races faster. I can, he left so easily, like he always does. She gives me a look and I sit there, my leg shaking impatiently. I quickly run upstairs, grab something and sprint back downstairs.

I race to his car, he's already backing out and I run to the back of his car. He halts to a stop, making the car make a screeching sound. Sawyer angrily gets out, slamming the driver door side closed.

"What the hell are you doing? Are you trying to get yourself fucking killed?" He yells, his hands flying everywhere.

When he sees my eyes water he smiles, "Opal." He walks straight to me,

"You forgot this." I hand him a piece of paper and nervously laugh. He looks down at the paper and back up to me with a bright smile. It's a hand drawn family portrait of all of us. I've been working on a couple ever since summer. "I'm so sorry, Sawyer." I apologize for the way I've been.

Sawyer shakes his head, "No, I'm sorry. I'm the asshole." He says, holding my hands in his. "I should have let you have your space, should have talked to you." He starts making up excuses and this time I shake my head, taking a closer step to him.

"No. It's your life. You shouldn't feel the need to explain anything to me. I know I run away from all my problems, and I'm learning to face them,"

"No, Opal." Sawyer interrupts, but I interrupt him.

"I love you, Sawyer." I cry. This time Sawyer freezes at my words. His eyes soften and he smiles. He places both his hands on my cheeks, he leans in, his nose touching mine.

"Say it again." He demands in a tiny whisper.

I can't help but croak as I cry and laugh at the same time. "I love you, you asshole."