CHAPTER 36

I sit nervously as Sawyer deals everyone seven uno cards.

I look at my cards and I sigh in relief, I have there four plus cards and the rest are random.

"Who wants to start?" Jospeh asks and Avery raises her hand,

"I will." From the large stack of cards she picks a red number one and places it on the center of the table. She places her card and I place mine and so on.

"Come on. I only have two cards?" Sawyer complains and I smile evilly. It's been ten minutes and I already eased up my nerves and turned the whole table on Sawyer.

Everyone is trying to make him lose and I started the secret battle between us. He raises an eyebrow at me when he catches me staring. I look away quick.

"It's your turn, Opal." Jospeh whispers to me and gives me a small nudge.

"Right." I say and place a lame card down.

It's Sawyers turn again and black haired girl, her name is Julie. She places a four plus card down, just for Sawyer. Sawyer glares at her,

"Just watch." He threatens her and she leans against his shoulder laughing. Sawyer has about twenty cards in his hand.

"How the fuck did this happen?" Sawyer takes a sip of his drink. "I'm still going to win, no matter what side you guys take." Sawyer eyes each of us.

"Seems like Opal has a personal vendetta against ya." Jethro says as he winks at me.

The game goes through a few more rounds when I finally have one more card.

"Uno!" I shout and everyone turns shocked.

They all start mumbling to each other. A few shouts here and there and then all goes quiet.

"I think I saw her card, it's blue. Don't put a blue card down." Evan says, panicked.

"You're far away from me. You cannot see my card." I deadpan.

"X-ray vision?" Evan questions more than declares. Everyone starts to laugh.

"No, no. She's bloody cheated." Sawyer accuses. He looks under the table,

"Why the hell are you looking under the table?" Jospeh blurts.

"She can be hiding cards under her bum." Sawyer says, eyeing me from his seat. I stand up, the card hidden against my chest. I prove that I don't have any cards hidden.

"See, nothing." I stick my tongue.

"She's cheating." He turns to Evan and Evan nods just to shut Sawyer up. The rotation of the game changes and Sawyer is happy he can attack Julie for what she did earlier. And in no time all of them turn against me.

Sawyer somehow only has five cards in his hand when not that long ago he had way more.

"Oh how the tables have fucking turned." Sawyer looks at me directly.

"I've haven't played in a long time, I'll have beginners luck." I argue my point and Sawyer snorts.

"I believe in you." Jospeh whispers into my ear as he puts his arms around my shoulder.

"Team Opal." He raises his glass. No one follows suit and my face tinges red.

I look at Avery, I feel betrayed. She mouths a quick sorry and shrugs.

Just because I have fifteen cards doesn't mean I'm going to lose.

A few more intense rounds and some death glares from Sawyer.