CHAPTER 84

Evan looks at his security cameras.

"It's Sawyers security team. Wonder why they're here..." Evan sarcastically says and looks at me. Everyone else seems to be oblivious to this whole ordeal.

"Why are they here?" Avery walks over to the door.

"There's no point in running." Evan leans down to whisper. My heart races as I look at him and at the door. I do what I do best and run. I run upstairs and climb out my window.

"Is Opal here? We just need a moment alone with her." I hear their gruff voices by the door.

"Why the hell do you need to talk to her?" Drew cuts in and I smile. They need to talk to me because Sawyer is an ass who doesn't trust me.

I slowly start climbing down the balcony and I'm so thankful for the ladderish design.

As soon as I hear them stomp inside, that  is when I make a run for it. I quickly tie my shoelaces and put my jacket on.

It's going to take a while for them to catch me in this maze so I time hop and I'm swept into darkness.

I close my eyes as I crash down into the ground. My knees scrape the floor and I hiss in pain as I try to stop myself with my hands.

My knees are cut and bleeding as well as my hands. I feel the sting as I stand up. I used to fall all the time as a kid, I used to get back up without a care.

I look around unable to recognize where I am. I'm in a park somewhere. I wrap my scarf around my face and use it as a mask so no one recognizes me. I walk around unable to figure out where I am. It's dark, cold, and I only see one person sitting on a bench.

"You're not from around here." I hear the guy sitting on the bench say.

Shoot, he saw me. Wait, he won't remember when I leave.

"Are we in New York?" I ask and he slowly nods.

"I knew time travel existed. I never believed my father but I knew you'd be here at this exact time." He says and my heart drops.

What is he talking about?

I don't say anything and walk away. Deny, deny, deny.

I hear him get up and I scrunch my nose. Dammit, of course he's going to follow me.

"What year are you from?" He asks and I look at him.

"What?" I say.

"Come on." He says and I stare straight ahead.

"I'm just trying to find my friend." I tell him.

"I'm Carter." He says and I turn to him.

"Opal." I tell him. He looks around my age, brown hair matted from his beanie and he has soft grayish blue eyes. He seems friendly, a little weird and strange but friendly.

"Whats it like?" He asks and I continue walking and looking around.

"Umm, what?" I ask again, not giving him much of my attention.

"Time travel, what's it like?" He repeats. He has an apple in his hand and he takes a bite out of it.

"I'm just trying to find a friend. I have no idea what you're talking about." I tell him and he slowly nods.

"I apologize." He says and stops walking with me. I continue walking, and I know he's kind of slowly following behind me.

I debate telling these made up stories and I finally breathe out and turn around to him.