CHAPTER 70

The house is quiet this early in the morning. I catch Thomas standing alone.

"So you won top place?" I startle Thomas who is standing in the hallway glancing at all the ancient artifacts Sawyer has collected.

"I guess so. Sawyer said I was the most suitable." He shrugs, almost shy.

"So you're going to be his assistant?" I question.

"It's a good opportunity."

"Good luck, he's going to torture you." I laugh, but Thomas doesn't seem amused.

My smile falls and I know Sawyer is standing behind me.

"Good morning, Thomas." Sawyer softly brushes pass me and gives Thomas a firm handshake. "Today, you'll be working in my lab downstairs. You can set up, your file should be on the computer." Sawyer taps him on the back and leads him to his lab. I start walking in the opposite direction,

"Opal, wait." Sawyer says and I turn to look at him.

"Yes?" I question.

"You okay?" He asks and I slowly nod.

"Are we still on for tonight?" He asks, hesitantly.

"Sure." I softly smile. Sawyer doesn't smile, he tersely nods and heads down to his lab.

I breathe out. I've been dreading this day. I promised him I would travel back in time.

"Hey." Avery wanders into the living room. Her hair is in a messy bun and she's in pajamas. "You've just been standing there staring off into space." She plops onto the couch and yawns.

"Sorry, was just thinking." I sit across from her. I haven't slept in days and I think it's getting to me.

"Hey, you want to join us?" Sawyers out of breath by the time he makes it back up stairs.

"Me?" Avery asks and Sawyer rolls his eyes.

"No." He rudely says. He turns to me and gives me a questioning look, waiting for me to answer.

"What's up your ass?" Avery rolls her eyes but Sawyer ignores her.

"Sure." I say. His eye twitches slightly at my response. "Let me eat first." I tell him and he nods.

"That reminds me, Nancy isn't here today." Avery whines into the pillow. "I was craving chocolate pancakes and sausage and bacon and everything." She fake cries.

"Cereal it is." I make my way into the kitchen.

"Sawyer gets on my nerve." She complains as we walk into the kitchen.

"Why is he the way he is?" I question, almost sarcastic but really curious as to why he's the way he is.

"Who the hell knows?" She drops the gallon of milk dramatically onto the counter. "I'm just wishing this bowl of cereal magically turns into pancakes."

"Why don't you just tell Evan to take you to breakfast?" I offer. Avery perks up at my idea and starts putting everything back.

"I'm going to ask him right now." She rushes out of the kitchen.

I quickly down my cereal and head back downstairs. I see Avery slowly climbing down the stairs, pouting.

"He said no." She frowns. She crosses her arms and heads to the kitchen. "Cereal it is."

"Sorry." I raise my voice as I softly laugh at her misery.

"These were the autopsy reports from last week." I hear Sawyer talking