CHAPTER 34

SAWYERS POV

How could I have been so stupid?

"Where are you going?" Evan asks and I run past him.

"Keep an eye on her." I tell him and run to the lab room.

I'm not contagious so I couldn't have given her whatever sickness I have. Her sickness is similar to mine but is reacting differently to her body.

Only explanation has to be Whit. He was somehow slowly infecting her over time. The only thing that doesn't make sense is all testing says it's exactly like mine. Except my body is fighting it and hers isn't. Another explanation I haven't been constantly infected, Whit just injected me once. I've tested her blood countless of times, there is no possible way it's different than mine. Her body just can't handle it like I do.

"What ever you're doing, speed it up." Jospeh comes in, a worried expression on his face.

Some part of me isn't worried. I know she will be fine.

"I'm doing everything in my power." I state, not bothering to look up from the microscope. I've used my virus as a vaccine which is alive but not able to cause a disease. I thought that would for sure do the trick.

"Well try harder. She's fighting for her life." He slams the door shut and I turn to him.

"Get out." I tell him. I don't need the constant reminder that she may be fucking dying.

"She's calmed down." He whispers before leaving. I grab the vaccine I gave her last time which seemed to help her and walk downstairs. I need more time.

I open the door to her room and see she's peacefully starring at the wall.

"Sawyer." She croaks, her breathing low and full of mucus. I walk over to her and see her eyes are rimmed red and the tear ducts are blood shot.

"Drink this and don't argue with me." I hand her a pain pill and inject her with the serum. I can't look at her.

"I'm dying." She whispers and I hear her sniffle. I breathe in and with all my strength and I turn to look at her. Her tears are blood, my eyes widen before I recovery and hold her feverish hand.

"I won't let that happen. I'm doing everything I can." I tell her and she weakly nods. I grab a napkin and wipe her tears. She closes her eyes and smiles.

I let her rest and rush back up stairs. Evan is by her door and he nods. He thinks she's going to die too.

I grab samples of her blood, she can't die. I've seen her. She just can't.  I put one in different vials. To each except one I add different anti-virus medication.

Now it's just a waiting game.

"Sawyer!" I hear shouting from downstairs. I rush downstairs, Jospeh is in the middle of the living room, his chest breathing hard.

"It's..." He pauses and I take a few steps down. "She's..." I roll my eyes at his stuttering. "She's not breathing." He finally shouts and I rush downstairs.

I push him out of the way, I catch Evan standing over her bed.

"She was thrashing around. Her mouth bubbled. I tried holding her still. Then it just stopped." Evan informs and I push him out of the way. I check her pulse, there isn't one.