CHAPTER 16

Evan pulls me further out side. I turn back to the group and catch Sawyers worried eyes.

"Don't worry, won't keep you long." Evan says as he catches me looking back at the group. "I'm sure you have a gist of what's going on..." he looks at me and I nod. And then I make a confused face and shake my head no.

He quietly laughs and clears his throat, "I'm sure they told you my parents aren't the best people including your uncle. I recently came across information I acquired through a spy, that your uncle intends to put you in danger. They have been planning this for years, all our parents..." He trails of quietly, his lips turning into a frown.

"And I'm supposed to believe this?" I question.

Evan stands there, his state studying my face, he shrugs before he starts talking. "I would. You should be grateful you're still alive." He tersely says before he walks off back into the house.

I stand there dumbfounded. I'm not sure if I upset him or he's just like that. He got his point across. I don't know these people and yet here they are risking their life to protect each other including me. It seems too much.

I walk back inside and they're all huddled together talking. I walk closer and catch them talking about shopping.

I perk up, the thought of doing something normal and getting out of this scary place makes me happy.

"If we get far away from here, where it's safe enough I can use my card." Daniel says. "I mean my account may be frozen, but it's worth a shot." He shrugs. "Besides we need the money."

"Money isn't an issue. We have that covered." Sawyer cuts him off.

"I have a card too, it's for emergencies but we can try mine." I cut in.

They all ignore me and continue talking.

"Okay. I mean if he tries what's the harm in me trying. Unless you don't think it's safe."

"You're not going out, Opal. They are, you aren't." Sawyer snaps.

"Don't worry you'll be safe. We don't want you breaking a finger," Avery gasps, "or worse, a nail while trying to use your card."

"Avery...." Sawyer barks.

"You've been warned." Jospeh cuts in.

"That was directed toward you, pretty boy." Avery smirks.

"Don't call me that." Sawyers voice drops deeper, almost a growl.

"Can we all just get along?" I cut in rolling my eyes. "If were all in this together might as well be civil. And since we're all in this together we should all go together, as one." I turn to Sawyer, my eyes challenging his.

"Opal, we would take you, but this is the problem..." Jospeh hands me a news paper article.

I grab it from him and on the front cover is a picture of me with my family. Underneath is a ransom for a lot of money, a written note begging for my kidnappers to bring me back home.

"I'm not surprised Whit threw Sawyer under the bus." Jospeh says and Sawyers eyes meet Jospeh's a hidden conversation between them.

On the bottom of the paper is a professional picture of Sawyer with glasses. With the words, 'professor kidnaps underage girl."

Sawyer grabs the paper from my hand and scrunches it up and tosses is.

I have no clue what Whit told my parents, but this is just over doing it. Whit sure did feed my parents a story. 

Avery walks over to the news paper and unscrambles it. "Wanted back for a million? Your parents are pitching in." She turns to Sawyer.

"Oh they're good. So freaking good." Daniel laughs, shaking his head.