CHAPTER 42

"Are you coming with us?" Avery asks and my eyes widen. Her and Jospeh have been trying to convince me all day to go to some random party with them.

I have no idea whose and I don't think I'll be a right fit to even party. I haven't talked to Sawyer in weeks besides the occasional how are you feeling. Almost like I'm checked in on by my family doctor. I go through the usual: Sawyer checks my heart, blood pressure, lungs. Everything you can think of he checks and double checks. After our appointments I huff annoyed every time and walk out. But I've been keeping one secret from him, my head pounds almost constantly and I want to rip it off.

At first I thought it was a dehydration headache and would take medicine which would help slightly but I'd be back to the burning headache within hours. And if I go to a party like this, what if I pass out?

"What time?" I ask, giving myself more time to think about the answer.

"Ten-ish." Avery shrugs. I nod, still not sure I want to go. "I'm taking that nod as a yes." She says before she walks out and before I can say anything.

"I heard you're coming." Jospeh whispers. He smiles at me and I shyly smile back. Of course Avery told him.

"Maybe." I shrug, looking through my drawers.

"Sawyer and Evan can't know. They'll flip." I stop what I'm doing and instantly turn to him.

"We're sneaking out?"

"Shut up." Jospeh rushes over to me, his finger to his mouth. I cover it with my hand, my eyes widening.

"That's going to be a challenge. Sawyers room is right next to mine." I whisper shout.

"We have a plan."

"A plan? What is Sawyer, your dad? What's the big deal if we get caught?" I question, I cross my arms and lean against the tall dresser.

"Sawyer is like a paranoid mom. If he ever finds out, he will pick us up and move us all again. I don't think you want that." He stares me down with a challenging look.

"I guess not." I huff out. I start looking for something decent to wear.

"Meet me in the kitchen in two hours." He squeezes my shoulder and I nod.

"Someone is dressed up." Jethro catches me coming out of my room. I freeze in spot, my cheeks burning up. I may be wearing a snug spaghetti strap black dress.

"It's hot outside." I try walking past him but he blocks me.

"Look, I know I come off as a douche but I hope you can forgive me and we can start over." He says, a wide smile graces his lips.

"Umm, okay." I squeak and shake his hand. Anything to get him away from me. I slowly maneuver around him.

"Maybe with dinner?" He questions, his smile doesn't waiver even after I reject him with a shake of my head. "You'll change your mind." He says with a wink, his cockiness growing.

I walk into the kitchen,

"Woah, isn't that a little scandalous?" Avery whispers into my ear. I pull down my dress, feeling more and more self conscious.

"It's hot outside." I weakly defend.

"Hey, Avery where are the..." Jospeh walks in but as soon as he lays eyes on me he loses track with his words. "Wow. Beautiful." He mutters. I look down, unable to look at him.

"She's trying to get us caught. No one wears something like that for normal everyday things. Did Sawyer catch you?" Avery chimes in, irritated. She slicks her hair back into a high ponytail, waiting for my answer.