CHAPTER 47

"Jospeh, do you guys have a tent?" I question. He's busy writing an essay when he looks up.

"Yes, why?" He moves his laptop away from him and leans back waiting for me to answer.

"Can I set it up out back?" I sit across from him and patiently wait.

"It's in the hallway closet. Need help setting it up? Why do you want it?" He questions further.

"It's been weeks. I feel like I don't belong here. I can barely walk in here without feeling tension from Sawyer. You guys feel it too." I point a finger when he's about to deny my accusation.

"He's just..." Jospeh trails off not knowing what to say. "Hallway closet." He points behind him, he sighs giving in.

"Thank you." I smile and head over to the closet. When I'm done setting up the tent and I'm away from everyone I breathe out.

I spend the rest of the day avoiding everyone and in the tent. When night falls my stomach growls and I creep out of the tent and make my way to the kitchen for some snacks and a flash light.

"Hey, need any pillows and blankets?" Jospeh pops out of nowhere and I drop a few water bottles. Thankfully he catches them before they fall.

"No, I'm covered." I tell him and head back out.

I continue drawing those damn zombie things. The nightmares are getting worse. They start off as normal looking people and then I blink and they're some crazy hungry eating machines wanting to eat anything in its way. Don't get me started on the noises my brain remembers.

I draw their rotting flesh, the way their eyes seem to be looking at me like they're alive but so lifeless driven by hunger to stop and consider that no matter how much human flesh they consume they'll always be decaying. Dead.

I hear a crack in the forest, a twig snapping in half and I stop drawing. I sit up and listen for any other sound. When I don't I hesitantly lie back in my stomach and confuse drawing. I wrap my blanket around me as I try slowing my beating heart.

I can't get their screams out of my head. The way they scream before they turn. The low growls and moans they make when they eventually start breathing again. The rage.

I hear movement outside and I freeze.

"Hello?" I try calling out but it comes out as a tiny whisper. "Any one there?" I speak up a little louder as I strain my ears for more noise.

Something hits the tent and I scream. "Who is out there?" I question, pulling everything around me closer to me, hugging them for comfort. I hear both Sawyer and Jospeh laughing.  They invite themselves inside of the tent and I look between them.

"You'd be dead if that was a murderer. You didn't even run." Jospeh continues laughing. I nudge him and throw a pencil eraser at him. I feel Sawyer sitting close beside me. Being squished between them in third tiny tent isn't so fun.

"What do you want?" I question, narrowing my eyes at Jospeh. I try not focusing on Sawyer. His smile immediately disappears as he looks behind me, as he looks at Sawyer.

I turn to Sawyer and back to Jospeh, "What?" I question. "Is something wrong? Is my family okay? You said they..." Jospeh shakes his head and I stop my worrying questions.

"No, you're family is safe." He says and he points to Sawyer with his head and I turn to Sawyer.

He's already looking down at me. Mixture of worry, irritation and maybe a hint of anger are crossing his features.

"Sawyer here has something to say." Jospeh says. He reaches over and pays him on h Th e back before he exits out of the tent. I stare at the empty spot Jospeh just filled hoping he can read my mind and come back. I don't want to be alone with Sawyer.