CHAPTER 30

The room is scarily quiet. Sawyer and I frozen in spot. My face turns red at how close we are. Sawyer is tightly holding my waist, almost as if he were to let go he would fall. But I'm glad his father isn't able to see our small moment.

"Why do you care?" Sawyer snaps. "She's your..." Sawyer is cut off by his father.

"How long?" He desperately asks, his face falling. I look to Sawyer, my heart racing. Grant is scaring me, the worried look on his face is sending me over the edge and I crack my fingers.

"You're fine." Sawyer whispers into my ear, so low his father can't hear. I look up at him, my face I'm sure full of worry. He smiles down at me and winks before walking over to his dad and pulling him out of the room.

Alone again.

I sigh out and walk to the table grab one last pizza and take it with me to the couch. I slump onto it pulling a blanket over me.

Eating is a good distraction. Food is for healing.

The next morning I'm awoken by someone tapping on my shoulder. I ignore it,

"Opal." I hear a deep whisper, then a tap.

My eyes feel too sleepy to open.

"Opal." He draws out my name, a little louder this time. Three taps.

I slowly open my eyes and realize where I am.

"God, finally. Took me ten minutes to wake you up."

I sit up on the bed and rub my eyes. I yawn and wrap the blanket around me.

"It's time to go." Sawyer says. He's pacing around the room looking through drawers.

When I realize I'm not on the living room couch but in a bedroom on a bed.

"How did I get here?" I question.

Sawyer stops looking through a drawer and looks at me.

"You passed out on the couch. You looked uncomfortable. Carried you here." Sawyer says with a shrug.

Do I thank him? I did get a good nights sleep.

He raises a questioning eyebrow at me and I snap out of thoughts and smile at him.

"If you're hungry we will stop for breakfast." He says as he exits the room. I change into the clothes I wore yesterday and fold everything I used.

I walk down stairs to Grant tossing something to Sawyer from across the room. Sawyer catches it and puts it in his satchel bag thing.

They're both talking in a different language and when they hear the creak from the last step they both turn to me.

"Ahh, morning my dear." Grant says. I look to Sawyer. I thought he would have a colder tone with me, considering yesterday.

Sawyer hides a smile and shrugs.

"Come. Quick." Grant motions me to follow him. I turn to Sawyer for assurance and he nods with his head.

I follow after Grant. He's holding a few books.

"I don't know if I'll ever see both of you anytime soon. I want you to have these." He hands me a stack of medical books.

"No, I can't." I tell him, refusing.

"You need to and you will." He says with a laugh.

"Take the God damn books." Sawyer yells from across the room.

"You heard the boy." Grant says and I take the books. "I know you'll use them for good. Take care of him." He whispers to me. "Good luck on your journey." He pats me on the shoulder.