CHAPTER 46

I don't sleep all night once again. I get up at five and get ready to go down to the bakery. I don't bother eating breakfast or getting my usual check up.

I get to the bakery right as Lola is opening up.

"Good morning." She greets and hold the door open for her.

"Morning." I yawn.

"Long night?" She questions.

"No, just having a hard time falling asleep." I put my apron and hair net on.

"Warm milk. It will knock you right out." She says as she places a few grocery bags on a random table.

"I will try that." I smile at her advice.

"You'll be up front today. I'll need you to wipe down the tables and make sure everything is neat and in place." She points at everything that needs to be straightened up. "When you're done you can sit anywhere, I have a few books in my office." She says and I nod.

When I'm done wiping off the tables and turn on the open sign I sit behind the counter and grab a random book.

We've been open for at least two hours and no one has come in. I rest my head on the counter, bored. The door bell rings and I lift my head up.

Finally a new customer. My face falls when I realize it's only Sawyer.

"Morning." He says with a smile and I stare at him skeptically. He's chipper this morning.

"Hi, I mean morning." I stutter. After last night I really thought he would never talk to me, or he would at least give me attitude like all the other times.

"You okay?" I question and his eyes dart from the menu to mine.

"Yes. Why wouldn't it?" He creases his eyebrows.

"You know, yesterday? You were pretty upset." I try triggering his memory but his face falls further in confusion as he tries to remember.

"Yesterday?" He questions and I hold on to the counter as my anger starts to creep in.

"Nothing. Never mind." He needs to get over himself and stop acting.

"I'll have a black cold brew and a carrot cake." He asks, completely changing the subject. He takes out his wallet from his back pocket and pays.

"There's perfectly good coffee at home and the pastry you didn't finish in the car." I remind him.

"My card." He says, ignoring my statement and I hand it back to him. He walks off to a corner seat by the window.

As I prepare his coffee I write his name but throw that cup away and grab another and write 'asshole' instead.

I ring the bell and he gets up to get his stuff. He looks at the cup clearly seeing the large letters. He takes a sip and nods clearly impressed by my coffee skills.

"Thanks Maple, or Maeve is it." He ponders, clearly on purpose saying a different name. He smirks and walks back to his seat. I roll my eyes. He knows I hate that name.

I watch as he takes out a lap top and starts typing away. I huff out annoyed that he's here.

I try going back to reading my book and I would look up to see if Sawyer would be typing and each time I would stare he would catch me. I see one side of his lip twitch slightly up and I know he's amused that he's caught me staring several times.

I try keeping myself from looking up and when I do he's already looking at me. He raises and eyebrow up and I quickly glance away.

It's almost eleven am and a customer walks in. A boy no older than me.