CHAPTER 13

Sawyer carries me on his shoulder and continues to run.

"Stop, Sawyer, stop." I punch on his back, and try kicking him but his hold on me grows firmer each time.

The sirens aren't as loud, we are deep in the woods when Sawyer finally puts me down.

"What's going on?" I question and Sawyer covers my mouth with his hand. He checks for any noise, and when silence fills our ears he lets go.

"Evan said this would happen. I mean why would she make this easy... give me strength." Sawyer angrily mutters, pacing back and fourth in front of me.

"I'm still lost. Explain." I try commanding, but all Sawyer does is stop his walking to glare at me.

"You." Sawyer charges at me and I back up against a tree.

"What about me?" I cross my arms. "No, you know what, I'm going back. I don't need to deal with any of this..." I start walking away from him. He holds me by the back of my shirt and shushes me. I turn to him about to yell and that's when I hear it, the sounds of helicopters roaming over the neighborhood. I see the bright lights and Sawyer pulls me down and we hide underneath a large bush.

"Opal! Sawyer! We know you're out there." I hear Whits voice through a megaphone.

"I'm leaving." I push Sawyer off of me and get up. I start running back.

"I'm over here!" I shout. I don't know what happens after that, all I know is I'm on the ground, my ears ringing.

I vaguely hear a couple more fires coming from guns being shot out way, pieces of bark from trees flying into our faces. Sawyer is hovering  over me when I finally regain my composure.

"We are going to run, and you can't stop." Sawyer whispers into my ear. I nod, my breathing quickens, and I can feel my whole body shaking.

Sawyer nods his head and I quickly scramble to my feet and run. We make it onto an open road, a secluded one.

I think they stopped chasing us a while back. I don't see any sign of a helicopter or sirens or gun shots. I try slowing down my breathing as we sit on the side of the road.

"He shot at me.." I whisper. I hear Sawyer breath out, and I turn to him and he twitches a smile.

"No, I think he was shooting at me."

"Normal people don't just shoot at other people. Why was he shooting at us?" I question. I stand up, pacing back and forth.

Why? Why would Whit shoot at us? It doesn't make sense, he wouldn't put me in danger, right?

"He's not a good person, Opal." Sawyer quietly states and I glare at him. He hands me my bag, and I stare at him.

"I thought I dropped this..." I tell him, at least I have my drawing book and a picture of my family with me. And a few extra clothes. I smile at him wanting to give him a hug, but I hold myself back.

Sawyer groans out in pain and I rush to his side.

"Are you okay?"

He pushes me away and I stay standing, watching as he tries to lift his arm up. Once he does he hisses out in pain.

"Did you fall?" I keep questioning and sit next to him. I reach for his shoulder and it's soaked.

"Eww, you're sweating..." I look down at my hands, they're slightly tainted red. My eyes widen and I look back up at Sawyer, who slightly chuckles,

"Blood..." He says and he tries to smoothly take of his shirt, but it gets stuck at the top of his head. I help him pull it over, it's too dark to see how bad the wound is.