CHAPTER 49

The sound of a cat screeching wakes me up from my sleep.

"Morning sunshine." Jospeh greets me. I look around for Sawyer but he's nowhere.

"If you're looking for Sawyer, he had to take a leak. He asked me to watch you for a bit." He informs.

"Oh." I plop back into the couch. I haven't had good sleep in forever. I turn to Jospeh who is playing solitaire on Sawyers computer. "How long did I sleep for?"

"I'd say forty-eightish hours. Don't know really." He shrugs. My eyes widen and I sit up. There is no way I slept that long.

"You're kidding."

"Wish I was. Did you know you're a kicker and a loud snorer?" He laughs to himself.

I know I kick but I do not snore.

"I do not snore. Why didn't anyone wake me up?"

"I don't know if you know this, you're kind of scary when you wake up." Again he chuckles to himself.

I glare at him.

"Stop messing with her." Sawyer walks in. "She slept longer than that." He looks at his watch. "Fifty-twoish hours or so."

I move my glare to Sawyer. He walks over to me and gives me a hidden teasing smile. Jospeh doesn't see the flirty gesture and my face tinges red.

"Surprised you don't have any blood clots from staying in one spot for so long." Sawyer continues. He lifts up my arm pretending to check for visible lesions.

"Come on. How long did I really sleep for?" I cross my arms turning to Jospeh.

"We're serious. Forty-eight hours." They both stand there, arms crossed as they wait for me to process this information.

"No." I smile, still not believing but all doubts are wiped when I watch their faces as they nod  sadly agreeing. "Is that normal?" I question.

"Yes and no." Sawyer says.

"You need to work on your answering skills." I point. Jospeh steps forward sighing in annoyance.

"What he means is yes because you haven't slept in three or four days. And he means no because you're sick so you're sleeping for longer than usual."

"Was that so hard?" I turn to Sawyer.

"Anyway. I'll be going." Jospeh looks between the both of us before walking out. "Glad you two are getting along." He whispers into my ear. I playfully push him to the exit.

"I'm going to take a quick shower." I tell Sawyer. He nods not really paying attention.

I quickly shower and realize my bandaid has been changed. I lift it up and my face falls, the rash still looks the same.

I make my way into the kitchen and see Evan and Avery they're both cooking. They seem busy. I look for Evan but I see him on the phone outside. He's busy too.

Jethro sees me and leaves the room. I roll my eyes. I debate sitting alone drawing or bothering Sawyer.

"Everyone is busy." I sigh. "Looks like I'm stuck with you." I feign disappointment to which Sawyer rolls his eyes.

"Looks like I win." He sarcastically mutters.

"What are you doing?" I stand by the edge of his desk.

"Just checking the amount of white blood cells in this sample."

He starts typing. There are three computer monitors. He moves onto the next screen typing something.