CHAPTER 3

The grocery store isn't as far as I expected it would be. It takes me five minutes and I'm inside the fresh market, thankful they're blasting air conditioning.

I grab the few items my uncle needs and walk down a few aisles and spot a large refrigerator with tons of different ice cream flavors.

I stand there staring at all the different flavors, trying to pick one. I'm overwhelmed with the amount of different ones and see mint chocolate chip. My eyes light up and I try reaching for it, but since it's the last one it's the furthest away.

"Why do you have to be so far away?" I whisper to myself and go on my tip toes to reach for it. I stretch as far as I can and my finger tips touch the top of the pint of ice cream. "Yes." I breath out and try getting it closer to me. It falls to its side and rolls over to me. I can finally reach it, and right as I'm about to grab it, someone comes behind me and takes it away.

I swiftly turn around, confused as hell and find a guy a bit taller than me standing holding the ice cream. 

My ice cream....

"Thanks." He says with a smile and starts walking away.

I will fight him.

"Ummm, that's mine." I tell him and he stops to look at me. He's tall and lanky, dark brown glossy hair, that almost reaches his eyes. His hair looks a little wet. He's wearing a surfing suit, that explains his hair. His hazel eyes look from the ice cream and then to me, and he smiles to himself.

"It's in my hand. Therefore it's mine." He says and I'm stumped.

"You have to be kidding me?" I exasperate, and close the refrigerator door. "You saw me struggling." I continue and he looks around, not paying attention to me.

"I did say thank you." He says with a smile and starts walking off. When his back is to me I charge after him and try to yank the ice cream from his hand.

"Woah, chill." He says and pushes me out of the way.

"I'm not going to chill, when you have my ice cream in your hand." I seethe and push him to the ground.

"What the hell!" He shouts and pulls me off of him.

"That's my ice cream!" I shout and once again jump at him.

"Sir, is this your daughter?" The officer asks as my uncle rushes over to where we're standing. Apparently I made such a scene that the store clerk called the cops and since it's such a small town they got here within seconds.

My uncle looks calm but I know he's fuming. He's in his lab coat so I interrupted his work, even worse.

"She's my niece. I'll take it from here." He says and pulls me from the hold of the officer. But the officer shakes his head, and holds me tighter.

"It all makes sense now." Surfer guy mumbles when he sees my uncle. I turn to him and make a move as if I'm going to pounce at him and he retreats back.

"Daniel, your parents are on their way. Sit tight." He turns to the guy and that shuts up surfer dude.

Daniel, so that's the ice cream thief.

Daniel leans against the cop car, amusement playing at his eyes.

"She almost killed me..." he complains and the officer rolls his eyes.

The officer turns to look at my uncle, his hold still tight around my wrists. "As for her, if she's caught disturbing or fighting anyone again, she will be cited." He says and my uncle nods in agreement.