CHAPTER 21

As soon as breakfast os over Lauren takes us out to the mall.

Avery and I are quiet the ride there, but soon enough Avery starts a conversation about her nails and how she hasn't gotten them done.

"We can get our nails done. That would be so much fun." Lauren says with a smile.

I'm not in the mood for anything at this point. All I want is my family and Sawyer giving me the chance to see them yesterday only made my emptiness grow.

"Sure." I say. We head into the first store and I grab a couple of t shirts and shorts and new underwear and bras.

"I think I'm done." I say.

"No no. Evan said we have unlimited so we're going crazy." Avery says and she starts grabbing random things.

I sigh out following her.

"Here try this on." She says. I grab the pair of jeans from her.

"Wow, Opal has curves. Who knew." She says.

"These are really tight." I complain.

"No you have to get them, it makes your butt look good."

Avery pulls me out of the fitting room and tries to find Lauren. Before I can stop her from excitedly exiting the store she pulls me out calling for Lauren. The alarm in the store blares and all attention is on us. I stand frozen not knowing what to do.

"Oops. I'm so sorry." Avery says before taking me back into the store but it's too late, security guards are making their way toward us.

"Oh no. This is bad. What do we do?" I whisper panic and Avery holds onto me tighter.

"I'll handle it." Lauren cuts in.

The store manager comes out and starts talking to the guard.

"They were acting suspicious the whole time. That one was yelling trying to distract everyone while that one..." the manager points at me, "tried running off with the jeans."

"Totally untrue. We were not trying to run off with your jeans." Avery cuts in.

"Pft, that's what they all say." She rolls her eyes.

"I'm going to need you to take those jeans off and come to the holding cell for questioning." The security guard says.

"Umm, ok."

"The rest of you are free to go." He looks to Avery and Lauren.

This can't be happening. I'm not freaking stealing.

I quickly change and try to pay for the pants which they let me do and I follow the officer.

He questions me for ten minuets and believes my story and lets me free with a warning. He doesn't ask for any I.D, thank god, or who my parents are.

When I leave the mall security office I breath out relieved. My heart is racing and Avery and Lauren are right outside.

"Are you okay? Are you going to jail? Did he recognize you?" Avery questions, holding me tight.

"I'm fine, can we just go." I tell them, exhausted with today.

Avery and I head up stairs when we both hear heavy footfalls. I hope it's Jospeh, I hope it's Joseph. I pray it's Jospeh. But I know it isn't. I turn to see Sawyer bearing down on us, scowling.

"I'll handle him." Avery whispers.

"I can handle it." I raise my voice as he draws near. "We had a problem."