CHAPTER 37

Sawyer laughs at my reaction. His deep laugh echoes through the room and I'm afraid he'll wake someone up.

"Shh." I place my finger on my lips, urging him to shush. He rolls his eyes. He chuckles softly to himself, and raises an eyebrow. He's sitting on the floor with one knee up, his arm resting on that knee.

"So..." Sawyer begins.

The awkward tension is still here, slowly fading but still here.

"So." I pick at my lips, nervous.

"Who were those people?" I question, referring to his friends from earlier.

"I'm sure Jospeh told you." He states. He did but I want Sawyers version. More on Amelia. I change the subject.

"I don't like the bet." I shake my head.

"Afraid you're going to lose?" He teases and I stare at the cards I'm given. I doubt I'll lose but it's a fifty-fifty chance. And I want food.

I place a card down, ignoring him. He laughs again at how I'm acting and places a card down.

"Let's make it interesting." He raises an eyebrow, an evil smile displaying.

"I thought that was what the bet was for." I deadpan and he shakes his head.

"Every time you have to grab an extra card you have to do something I tell you." He says and my eyes widen. This could go wrong in so many ways.

"And if I refuse to do what you say?" I question.

"You have to eat a full jar of sardines." He shrugs as he places down another card.

"So a lose lose situation for me." I glare at him.

"Maybe, maybe not." He shrugs, his eyes full of mischief. I stare blankly at the card he just placed down. I don't have the color or the number so I have to grab an extra card. He notices my dilemma and smiles.

"You just like watching me suffer." I stick my tongue out at him and he smiles. An innocent sweet smile, as if he were a kid. I grab the extra card, thankful it's the color I need.

"Do you want me to tell you now or when the game is over?" He says and I sigh.

"Sawyer, do I have to?" I plead.

"Sardines." Is all he says. Sardines or what he has in mind? I haven't heard his idea, maybe I can do it.

"Fine, tell me." I roll my eyes.

"You have to paint or draw for me." He says, no details just him being  vague about it.

"Draw what?" I raise my eyebrow. I accidentally show him my cards and quickly hide them from his view.

"Just trust me." He says and he puts a card down.

I have a four plus card. I just have to save that card until the very end.

"Fine." I say through gritted teeth.

Sawyer grabs a few extra cards and we continue to play.

"How are you feeling?" Sawyer says, randomly through the middle of the game.

I'm looking through my cards for my next move not paying attention.

"Opal." Sawyer snaps his fingers. I finally look up, confused.

"What? Oh right. I'm feeling great." I say, waving my hand.

"Can you hurry up and put a card down?" I aggressively say. My competitive side taking over.