CHAPTER 60

SAWYERS POV

"Looks like you need a drink." Evan walks into his office. I raise up the glass I'm already drinking. He raises his eyebrows slightly and begins to pour himself one.

"How did you come back?"

"I got caught."

"Were you scared?"

"They didn't know what to do with me. I stayed locked up collecting things to fix the watch. It's why I took long." I laugh, bitterly. The door to Evans office swings open. Joseph walks in, all innocent and puppy eyed. His hands are in his pocket, showing shyness and powerlessness.

I lick my lips before turning back to Evan,

"Joseph, you've been in training. You know it's all about tactics. When the enemy is smarter and has more sophisticated tools, what do they do?" I don't let him answer, "They disappear for a while and they come back to get you when you're blind sided and unprepared. Stab, or shoot you from behind like some brothers." I pour myself another drink and down it.

I get up, and put on my jacket, ready to leave.

"Sawyer, hey, wait. We need to talk." Joseph's voice rings into my ear. I look at him, dead serious.

"I have nothing to talk about with you." I calmly fix my collar. I pour another drink, "Sit down, maybe you should have a drink." I hand him the shot glass. "You to Evan." I hand him one. "Let's make a toast."

Both of them just give me a kind of solemn look and I wait for them to raise their glass, they both slowly do.

"To traveling time and coming back home, wasn't all I expected it to be, but, fuck it, that's life. And to my best friend and loyal brother, Joseph..." I turn and raise my glass to him, "For keeping things here back at home." I down my drink.

I sit back down as Joseph's hands are still in his pockets as he stares me down.

"You're not gonna drink?" I question. "That's saying a lot." I mutter bitterly.

"All right, Sawyer. That's how we're going to play this." He grabs the drink I poured him and  he gives a small toast, "To you, Sayer." And he downs his drink.

"Looks like you two need some time alone." Evan stands up, and adjusts his tie.

"Aww, hell no Evan. Come on, no no no. We're celebrating here." I push him back down into his seat. "Me lost in time, almost never returning, my brother Joseph over here looking after," I turn to look at him, "my interests for me." I turn to look back at Evan, just continuing our simple conversation,

"Did you know he was looking after Opal, while I was gone?" I ask Evan, who just stares me down.

"You said one year. We thought you were gone forever, Sawyer. It destroyed us both." Joseph says exasperated almost on the verge of crying, he rushes toward me, we're face to face now. "She was just trying to get on with her life, it was a drunken mistake."

Drunken mistake my ass. I roll my eyes not believing what I'm hearing.

"I bet life is so good for you." My tone dark and serious, with every word I'm saying I hope it's punching him in the gut.

Joseph stands up straighter, "You know you're a rotten and shitty drunk. Always have been." He starts walking out of the office,

"You're an awful brother. But we all knew that."

He stops walking and slowly turns back to me, with one swift motion he's right in front of my face,

"Don't forget you're the one who left her, to fight something that isn't that big of a deal." He points to somewhere behind him as he's talking, seething at me. "I tried helping but you made damn sure that I didn't remember or could go with you. Plus, we thought you were gone." His words get angrier by the second.