CHAPTER 59

"Come on. Let's do something." Joseph pesters me. I'm trying to study for my upcoming test, but Joseph keeps flicking small paper balls at the back of my head.

I slam my pencil down and slowly turn to him. His smile falls when he's met with a glare.

"I can't." I frown. He immediately rolls his eyes while shaking his head,

"You've been studying for hours. Come on, take a break." He walks over to me and pulls at my arm.

"I do want to get into medical school." I turn around and start reading again, but Joseph swivels my chair around back to him.

"Just a few hours." He whispers, as he smiles down at me, he leans on the arms of the chair. He's hovering over me and I lean back against the chair to think about it.

"I need to finish this. I have a tight schedule. I have three essays due by next week and I haven't started. I have a math test in two days and I haven't read any of the material I'm supposed to read for today because you...." I don't get to finish my complaining, Joseph rolls his eyes as he deeply sighs. He easily pulls me out of the chair and drags me straight downstairs. On the way out he quickly locks the door.

"I need to study."

"First you need a break." He says.

"Fine, where are we going?" I question.

"Put your shoes on and I'll tell you." He points to the shoes by the door. I roll my eyes and huff out. I sit on the ground like a child as he teasingly smiles. "We are going somewhere." He helps me off the floor and I follow him out the door.

"It's almost like you and Sawyer are brothers." I stick my tongue out. Secrets upon secrets upon secrets with these boys.

"I'm joking. We're going to the cliffs." He smiles, "maybe you can draw the sun setting?" He questions.

"The cliffs?" I question.

"I forget they keep you trapped." He shakes his head.

I look out the window, almost forgetting I am trapped.

He looks at my face and awkwardly coughs, "The cliffs are amazing. It's a field covered in grass and we sit by the edge. You can see the ocean below us and the light house." He explains everything while driving with one hand and gesturing with the other.

Hmm, the cliffs.

"I didn't bring my drawing stuff." I panic.

"It's in the back. Lucky for you, you left it in here the other day."

I sigh relieved. "Okay, we can't stay there more than two hours." I warn and he nods.

When we arrive, I'm surprised by how strong the wind is blowing. I'm mesmerized by the scene in front of me. Joseph hands me my art bag and grabs my hand. We walk as close to the edge as possible.

"The sun is about to set in seven minutes." He wiggles his eyebrows.

"Shhh." I tell him as I sit there in peace. The breeze, the smell of salt water, and the feel of the soft grass. I lie down and stare up at the sky.

"Three minutes." Joseph's head pops in over mine, blocking the view from the clear blue sky. I sit back up and get my sketch book out. We have a perfect view, the sound of the ocean hitting the rocks below us and the light house staring at us straight on.

"The sun is going down!" Joseph shouts over the wind and I can't help but laugh. Little does he know it's not that hard to remember what a sun set looks like.