CHAPTER 66

"If you're hungry, Opal will take you to Nancy." Sayers deep voice startles me. I didn't know he was right on my heels. Drew looks at me, hoping that I somehow get rid of Sawyer.

I turn to Sawyer, he gives me sad pleading eyes but I igoner him.

"Leave us alone." I push at his chest. He grabs onto my arm, stares at me contemplating on saying something but he just walks away.

The two large men stay outside the door, guarding it.

I close the door behind me and I'm immediately embraced in a tight hug.

"Let's get out of here." Drew whispers into my ear. I hug him tighter, I don't say anything. "The window. We can climb down." He rushes over to the window, opening it up.

"And go where?" I whisper, my voice gone, tried from crying.

"Anywhere." He shrugs. I'm still standing still in the middle of the room. I've never been inside this room. It's big, warm, and inviting. A large bed, lamps, a dresser, everything you need, it's like we're in a hotel.

"We can't."

He's not listening to a word I'm saying. He's grabbing the bed sheets and attaching them together to make a rope.

"Drew." I say. He's mumbling to himself.

"Opal, don't just stand there. Hand me that." He snaps his fingers and when I don't get it for him he finally looks at me.

"We are safe here." I try pleading and he's already shaking his head no.

"No. I see the way you look at him. You're in love with him. Jesus Opal." He rubs his hands through his hair.

He looks older, tired, sorrow fills his eyes. I don't recognize him, but he's here, standing in front of me.

"I'm not in love with him." I argue. He gives me a pointed look.

I hear a knock on the door, we both stop talking. I walk to the door and Sawyer is standing there.

"Do you have a death wish?" I whisper angrily.

"Just want to make sure you're okay." He says and I see his line of sight move to Drew who is standing behind me.

"Leave us alone." Drew says and he slams the door.

"Opal," He's in front of me now, his hands are on my shoulder. "Don't you see what he's done to you?" He shakes me, trying to get me to wake up and see reality.

"I could be in the same situation as them if it weren't for Sawyer." I tell him, referring to our parents and he groans.

"Opal. That's not the point." He says and he starts pacing back and forth.

"Where were you when all of this happened?" I question, referring to the accident.

"I was in the car." Drew confesses. "Your boyfriend was there to save me." He says and I glare at him.

"He's not my boyfriend." I cross my arms.

"Opal, look at me. You don't know them. They don't care about you. They took you away from your family!" He's shouting now. I know he's mourning and he's only going off because of everything that's happened.

"Just get to know them." I plead.

"No. We're leaving. Go get some shoes."

"Drew. Please. Look at me. I'm healthy. They..." I point at the door, angrily, " kept me safe. They cared for me. I even started school. I'm about to finish." I smile and he looks at me with slight surprise.