CHAPTER 90

SAWYERS POV

"I'm going to marry her."

Evan is quick to his feet. I've been debating whether to include him in my plans. I see now, I shouldn't have.

Evan stares at me for a while. "What are you doing?" He questions.

"Marrying, Opal." I repeat. The words sound foreign out loud, but I knew the moment I met her, I saw my life with her and only her.

"I mean what do you intend to do?" Evan phrases differently,

"With Opal?" I question.

"Yes." He nods.

"Live life with her. Happily..." I start to say, but Evan interrupts me.

"That's a waste of time." He says.

I look down at all the work he's always drowned in and I walk over to his mini bar and pour us both a drink.

"What would you have me do?" I sweetly smile down at him. I sit on the couch chair across from his desk, waiting for his answer. He finally looks up from whatever he's writing and looks at me.

I tap my foot, impatiently.

"Go and work as a true doctor and make something of yourself."

I immediately shake my head no, and groan.

"You're not playing fair." I get up to walk away.

"Here." He stops me, from exiting his office. He hands me drawings I've never seen.

"Did you draw these?" I question, looking at self portraits of me and my brothers.

"These are her drawings. She stopped when you left but I somehow convinced her to draw again. She gave me these."

I hand them back to him. I had no idea she stopped. She's never mentioned it to me.

"What does she plan to do with her life?" He continues after a moment of silence.

"She wants to be a scientist. Maybe a doctor, like me." I smile.

Evan nods as he walks back to his desk.

"Don't marry her." He says.

My smile drops.

"What?" I say. I know what he said, just want to make sure.

"Don't marry her." He repeats, softer now.

What the fuck is he on about?

"Why?" I question, harshly.

"Why?" He bitterly laughs, placing his hands in his pockets, "you know why." He stares me down.

"No, no, no, no. You're just being an asshole now." I stand still, waiting for him to challenge me further. "I have been waiting for her my whole life. I just never knew what the right time would be. But it's now. I feel it. And I didn't come to ask you for permission or your blessing. I won't let anyone stop me, not when I've spent my entire life loving her."

"Sawyer, I'm just looking out for you." He tries to back track.

I leave his room without another word, but with a disapproval grunt.

I see Joseph standing outside and I decide to tell him.

His attention is on Opal. She's lying in the grass, her eyes closed as she relaxes in the sun.

I turn to Joseph. We acknowledge each other but stay quiet. He's been distant with me.

"You okay?" I question. He doesn't respond right away, still staring off in the distant.