CHAPTER 8

The lecture with Whit is quick. I'm not really paying attention to anything he's saying. I'm doodling in my journal as he describes things he's seen in his travels.

The sighs I make don't register to him, since he's never had a daughter. I excuse myself and hide in the bathroom the rest of the morning.

"It's obvious you're still not on good terms, but I made lunch...." Whit knocks on the bathroom door.

"Okay..." I tell him and go back to drawing. I slowly walk out and make my way down the hall.

"We're going to the beach, I was wondering if Opal would like to join us, sir."

I hear Jospeh's voice and I stay hidden.

I watch as my uncle stares at Jospeh and he sighs out,

"Who is going?"

"Uh, everyone." Jospeh shrugs, his gaze lands on me and I quickly dodge behind the hallway wall.

"She will be back before midnight..." My uncle warns and I'm sure Joseph nods.

"Opal, Joseph here would like to know if you want to join them on a beach excursion...." My uncle asks and I sheepishly come out from the hallway.

Whit gives me a mischievous look, before walking off.

"Hey." Jospeh smiles and I greet him. "We're picking you up in two hours, so get ready..." Jospeh says, and starts walking off.

"I don't want to go.."

He stops mid step and turns around to look at me.

"Why not? You've been cooped up in here for a whole week..." he sounds a little defensive.

I don't say anything,

"It will be fun, swimming, a small fire, food, snacks and other things..." his eyebrows wiggle and I stand there contemplating.

I haven't drawn a nice beach sunset in a while.

"Oh for gods sake, Maeve. The boy wants you to go!" My uncle shouts from the kitchen and I feel my cheeks heat up.

Joseph mischievously smiles,

"Okay okay, fine.." I smile.

"See you in a few." He waves.

I walk back inside, a smile on my face.

"You're welcome." My uncle says and he takes a bite of his steamed corn.

"I was going to say yes, just wanted him to beg a little." I shrug. Whit gives me a pointed look,

"You'd be a homebody if your mom didn't make you do and learn everything under the sun..." He mutters and I grab a grilled cheese sandwich. "Look you're almost eighteen. Get out of the house. Go on adventures. Don't tell your mom I'm saying this, but make mistakes. Experiment, experience life. Your parents can't protect you forever..."

I take a bite out of the sandwich and stare at Whit. I feel like this is a trap. All my life I've been a goody two shoes and this has to be a test.

"Drinking, tattoos, and piercings are all on my bucket list..." I tell him and we both eye each other.

He places both his hands together and rests them under his chin. He breaths in deeply, and looks back at me,

"It's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission..." He says with a smile. I'm taking that as him giving me the go ahead to do everything my parents won't let me do. But he's warning me, I will probably be grounded until I'm married, if I make it that far in life. My parents will kill me.