CHAPTER 63

I fix my pajamas as I walk downstairs. Sawyer frightens me, he's standing by the sink. I don't think he hears me and I notice he's holding a glass.

"Isn't it a bit too early to be drinking?" I question, my voice groggy. I grab a water bottle and drink it. Sawyers head moves slightly in my direction but his back is still facing me. He continues to stare out the window. I place my water bottle down, and I frown.

He placed the small shot glass into the sink and he slowly turns to me. I perk and smile, thinking he might have a funny comment,

He looks me up and down, almost in disgust, "Get dressed. Class has already started." He mutters and walks out of the kitchen. I breathe out not realizing I was holding my breath.

I look out the window and see everyone is here. I look at the time on the oven. They're all an hour early.

I go outside in my pajamas. Thomas spots me and is too focused on what he's doing to notice what I'm wearing. I'm a little uncomfortable in my short pajama shorts and tank top, but I'm trying prove a point.

"For those of you who are late." I hear Sawyer start to speak to his whole class. "You'll be doing paper work for the remainder of the day." He says. As soon as he says that, a girl rushes in and he looks at me. Both of us late.

"I'm sorry." I turn to Thomas.

"It's fine. We're done." He smiles and he notices what I'm wearing.

"Did you not have time to change?" He questions and I look down at myself.

"Was rushed." I sheepishly say, my face burning up.

"Here. I don't want you feeling uncomfortable." He says and he takes off his white coat and places it over me.

"Thank you." I tell him. I button up all the buttons and walk in my fuzzy socks over to Sawyer.

He's standing emotionless in front of me and the other girl who was late.

"You make it a habit to arrive late to your commitments?" Sawyer asks. I feel the girl beside me shrink. I hold the urge to roll my eyes and I glare at him.

"No, but things happen." I speak for the both of us, the other girl intimidated by Sawyer.

He leads us to a table and hands us both stacks of paper.

"Read these and summarize each packet." He says. When he walks away I bang my head on the table, groaning.

"I've heard he was strict. But he's scary strict." The girl says and I slowly turn to her.

"He's an asshole." I whisper. She nervously laughs, obviously not agreeing with me.

"I'm Opal." I smile at her.

"I'm Lena." She says and I nod. I catch her looking at Sawyer. She turns to me, embarrassed she got caught.

"I'm sorry. He's just so hot." She goes back to reading.

"Why were you late?" I ask.

"My car broke down. Had to call a tow truck." Her eyes remain on the paper and she highlights a few lines.

"Why did everyone show up an hour early?" I question.

"I'm not sure. All I know is the class he taught before warned us that he hated those who were late and that he's scary, hard, and you actually learn." She shrugs.

"Learn?" I laugh. She seems to take offense to my words.

"I don't mean to be rude, but why are you in this class? You seem miserable." She whispers.