CHAPTER 31

The next morning I'm unable to move. My body feels like it's been hit by a train. So sore, tender, and painful.

I groan as I try to move a leg out of bed but the pain courses through my body. The excruciating pain holds me down. I try screaming but opening my mouth feels like I'm being attacked with pin needles.

I take a deep breath, but the heaviness from my chest makes me cough. I start heaving, unable to breath. I feel myself trying to gasp for air, feeling like I'm drowning in water.

I'm hoping someone comes in before I pass out. My head feels dizzy and when I see black dots I know I'm going to pass out.

I don't hear anything, but muffled voices. They start to get clearer when I start waking up.

"Oh, she's waking up." I hear Avery's voice. I groan in pain as I try opening my eyes.

"Shh, don't scare her." I hear Jospeh's voice.

I open my eyes and everyone is surrounding me.

"Where am I?" I question and they all turn to Sawyer. His worried expression is pinned on me before he notices everyone is waiting for him to answer.

He awkwardly coughs, "On a hospital bed in my clinic room. You have an IV needle in your arm, try not to move." He says as he looks at the machine I'm hooked up to.

Sawyer pulls out his stethoscope and starts listening to my heart, then my lungs. He asks me to breath a few times to which he hums.

I look at him confused.

"Your blood pressure is high. You passed out." He looks me too deeply in the eye, and I know he isn't telling everyone the whole truth.

I try nodding, but every time I move excruciating pain shoots through my body and I whimper in pain. I hold back tears as I bite down on my lips.

"I've given you pain medicine. The pain should go away." Sawyer whispers into my ear. I lie there unable to move.

"Keep me updated." Evan says before exiting the room.

"Want me to get you anything? Water, food." Jospeh asks.

"She's connected to an IV, dumb ass. She's getting hydrated." Sawyer rolls his eyes.

"No." I whisper to Jospeh and try to smile.

"I'll be here, just call me whenever you need." Avery chimes in and Jospeh nods agreeing with her words.

"She needs rest." Sawyer sternly says and they take the hint and leave.

"It hurts." I cry out, my breathing ragged.

Sawyers sitting by my side. He feels my face for a fever,

"I know." He whispers. "It's going to get worse." He mumbles and I stare at him, unable to react. He gently moves loose curls from my face. I can feel beads of sweat forming.

"What's happening?" I ask.

"Your body is shutting down." Sawyer says, almost painfully.

SAWYERS POV

Its been a few days. Opal is still in the infirmary, getting worse by the second. It's my turn to look after her. Between Evan and I it's not that hard.

I thoroughly wash my hands before heading into the room. Any more infection from outside sources can kill her. Her body is weak.

Evan exits the room and passes by me through the hall, "She's calling for you." Evan informs me, and I nod.

As soon as I enter the room I hear her inaudible whispers.