CHAPTER 41

The days are going dreadfully slow.

I'm sitting, drawing, minding my own business when Sawyer decides to bother me.

"How long have you been sitting there for?" Sawyer questions.

I debate being petty but just shrug. I've been out here all morning and it's almost three. Drawing is a long process especially if you want to make it look realistic.

"We're all going out to eat, but if you're hungry now I can make you something." Sawyer says and I nod. He's still keeping his lost bet, cooking for me. "Just let me know." He says and I nod, again not paying much attention. Nodding every time he talks. But then everything I actually want to say to him pops into mind and I can't stop it.

"You're good at that." I say.

"What?" He says.

"Making people believe they are more important to you than they actually are." I finish one last stroke before I look up at him.

He peers down at me through his swaying curls. He clears his throat, takes a few steps back but still lingers at the edge of my space.

Thunder cracks in the distance, startling both of us. Sawyer whips his head around to look for the storm.

He smiles lazily and turns to look at me,

"That's a load of bull." He snorts. I smack my pencil down on the bench I'm sitting on. Angry. The sun is slightly hidden behind graying clouds making it look darker.

I crease my eyebrows and I feel my blood boiling. He made me believe I was someone special, and now that I know about Jospeh he seems like he doesn't care.

I open my mouth to argue back but Jospeh pops his head out.

"There you are. I've been looking for you everywhere. Are you coming out to eat? I think Evan chose a fancy restaurant." Jospeh says excitedly. My first instinct is to immediately decline but seeing how thrilled he is makes me nod. His smile widens,

"You can ride with us." And he points to somewhere inside, assuming he wants me to ride with him and Avery.

I accidentally look to Sawyer who seems slightly irritated that Jospeh interrupted. From my point of view Sawyer is shaking his head, signaling for me to decline which makes me angrier.  Joseph can't see Sawyers annoyance, his back to Sawyer.

"Sure." I smile not wanting to be stuck in the same car as Sawyer.

He turns to Sawyer with a suspicious look,

"Leave her alone." Jospeh playfully says as he smacks his brothers chest.

Sawyer fake smiles at his brother and as soon as Jospeh leaves Sawyers smile drops.

I ignore Sawyer and go back to drawing.

"You should get ready then." Sawyer awkwardly says, and I nod.

I know I got under his skin with all my nodding when he angrily opens the back porch sliding door a little too hard. I try not to laugh but smile behind my drawing book.