CHAPTER 4

I try forgetting about what happened yesterday. I stare at my arm, the marks of his fingers there but fading. I know I was surprised, but should I really be. Ever since our first encounter I was on edge, nervous when I first met him in the pantry.

I should have known he was the one who sent me that stupid note. This whole thing could have been avoided. I need to handle this on my own, just need to get a few things on Sawyer so I know exactly what I'm up against.

I hurry and put on a long sleeve to hide my bruises. Long sleeves in the middle of summer don't mix well, I'm going to be dying in the heat.

"Maeve, your mother is on the phone..." My uncle tells me as soon as he sees me coming down the stairs. He gives me a pointed look when he hands me the phone, dammit. He told my parents....

"Hello?" I answer the phone.

"You hate me don't you, you're mad at me?" Worry is laced in her voice and I play with cord of the phone. I'm sure she has bags under her eyes from not sleeping all night after hearing this news.

"No, mom..." I state. "Why would I be mad?" I question further, not sure where she's going with this.

She breaths out a sigh of relief, and laughs to herself, "Well for starters, we made you go somewhere you didn't want to be. And now you're stuck there all summer..."

"I'll get used to it." I shrug, even though she can't see me. My mom isn't the quickest person, but she can tell when something is off.

"Maeve?" She says after it's quiet. I look around to make sure Whit isn't anywhere around.

"Yeah?" I question.

"How is everything?" She questions. She's really asking if I'm okay and if I want her to pick me up.

"Everything is fine..." I counter, sounding a bit defensive.

"How are the other kids?" She questions and I roll my eyes.

"Mom, most of them are adults..." I trail off and she quietly laughs.

"I'm old enough to be the mother of all of them, so that makes them kids." She says.

"Right..." I say.

"You didn't answer my question, Maeve."

I breath out, there's really no point in hiding this from her.

"Tell me what happened..."

"Well, nothing really happened..." I try telling her, still trying to avoid this conversation.

"I can't get along with everyone..." I tell her, trying to ease the conversation.

"Don't tell me it's nothing...who is it?" Her voice has turned from friendly to mother bear and I sigh out. "If someone is bothering you, you need to tell me..." She says, her voice growing soft.

I roll my eyes, "Mom, you can't keep fighting all of my fights. I can handle things on my own."

"Are the girls giving you trouble?"

"He won't do..." I try saying and she interrupts me.

"Hun, it's a boy..." my mom says but not to me. She's talking to my dad. Great.

"Oh please tell me it isn't the one with all the tattoos." She starts going off. "Sawyer, right?" She asks and I nod even though she can't see me.

"You're uncle warned me about him. He's rude. Stay away from him Maeve..." she warns.

"He's just not very approachable. But everyone else seems nice, except maybe one of the girls. I don't think she likes me very much, but like I said you can't get along with..." I can't finish my thought when my mom interrupts again.