CHAPTER 73

Sawyer isn't in his office today but Thomas is and I join him. Sawyer told me to draw everything and he even got me a bunch of journals and I have to write about everything I see.

He wants me to have a small allowance so I know what it feels like to be an adult earning a living wage.

"Hey Thomas?" I say his name without looking from drawing.

"Yeah?" He says, and I can feel him stop what he's doing.

"You know the banquet thing?" I question, casually.

"Yes." I see him nod from my peripheral vision.

"Want to go with me?" I shrug and continue stroking my pencil on the paper. He doesn't answer right away

I finally look up and I know why he hasn't. We both hear Sawyer climbing down the stairs.

I raise an eyebrow, waiting for him to answer. He quickly nods yes and goes back to work.

"Thomas, you're here early." Sawyer says. Thomas nods a curt nod and shyly smiles before looking at me nervously.

Sawyer doesn't notice I'm in the room until he follows Thomas's line of sight.

"Opal." Sawyer says almost painfully.

"Hi." I smile, he stares at me for a second too long. I feel like the more he stares the more he'll know I'm pregnant.

I nervously cough and he realizes he's in a daze.

"Did you eat today?" He questions.

"Yes, Nancy made me oatmeal." I nod.

"Good." He says and he turns to Thomas.

"Found anything?" He asks and they start talking about I'm not sure what.

"Hey, Opal. Is there anything specific you want me to wear?" Thomas nervously asks and his eyes move to Sawyers and then back to me.

"For?" Sawyer asks, a little confused.

"The banquet." I quickly say. "Maybe a navy blue suit or black. I'm not sure."

"Okay, I think I can work something out." Thomas smiles.

"You can borrow one of mine." Sawyer chimes in and we both look at him.

He's always angry whenever I offer something to Thomas but here he is offering him clothes.

I look at him suspiciously and in return he just smiles.

"Why?" I question.

"It's a suit Opal." Sawyer shrugs. "He needs to look good if he wants to find a beautiful girl." Sawyer pays Thomas on the back.

"I already did. I'm taking Opal." Thomas boldly says and I smile at his words. Sawyer slowly turns to me, I'm unable to read his face.

"Right." Sawyer says. "Opal." He says my name like he can't believe I'm going with Thomas.

"It's tonight, right?" Thomas asks and Sawyer is out of this conversation and at his desk. I know Thomas can feel the tension.

I wanted to go with Sawyer but...

"Yes, tonight. If you need a ride Sawyer can take us." I add and Sawyer looks up. "Right Sawyer?" I question.

"Right." He nods without looking up. I don't think he even heard what I said he's just agreeing.

"Is it alright if I take a shower here?" He questions and I nod.

"Yeah, you can use my bathroom and shower." I nod and Sawyer immediately stands up and we both snap our attention to him.