CHAPTER 55

"I don't think that's a good idea." I hear Evans far away voice coming into the kitchen.

"It's just for a couple of hours. She's bored and frankly we're both going crazy trapped in this house." I hear Avery arguing with Evan. If they're trying to be subtle about this, they're failing. I continue to eat my bagel, trying my best to ignore.

"I'm going crazy listening to those two argue all the time. Locos." Nancy says, she rolls her eyes while wiping the counter. I laugh at her, understanding the word loco means crazy.

She's taught me a few words, granted they're all cuss words but I'm learning.

"Just one day." She exasperates. They both barge into the kitchen.

"Opal." Her voice is loud, almost excited.

I put my bagel down, prepared for what she has planned today. I think we've done everything together. We had a spa day yesterday and the day before we had a movie night with all kinds of snacks. The day before that, we explored the acres of land the Pierce family owns. We found an old shed and a few covered wells, the weirdest thing we found was a cave. We were too afraid to go in. I think the day before that we had a baking day.

For weeks now we have been doing something new each day and I think she's running out of ideas.

Avery runs on her tiptoes to me and shakes me slightly. "Guess where we're going tonight." She says. I turn to Evan who rolls his eyes as he gives her a disapproval look.

"Where?" I question.

"We're going to a bar."

"I'm underage." I tell her the obvious problem.

"So? I don't think you realize how much power the Pierce brothers have." She smiles.

"Abusing that power." Evan cuts in.

"Shh." She waves him off. "Anyway, are you in? It can be so much fun. We can get all dressed up, drink, meet new guys, dance. We can feel normal again." She says. I ponder on the thought of feeling normal.

"No guys." Evan cuts in again and I laugh. He turns to me, no trace of amusement anywhere, "That, goes for you to." He says and my smile falters.

"Don't listen to him. He doesn't expect you to be Rapunzel, locked in that stupid tower all your life." She holds onto my shoulder as she glares at Evan.

I slowly take a bite of my bagel as they argue back and forth about this whole situation until finally Evan walks out of the kitchen.

"Headaches. He gives me so many headaches." She places her hand on her head and closes her eyes. "Be ready by ten." She says. I nod, not wanting to be on her bad side.

I've never been to a bar so not sure what I should wear. I throw on a simple tight black silky dress and black boots. Avery gives my make up a few touch ups and she straightens my messy curly hair.

"Good thing we started straightening your hair two hours before. My arm is killing me." She complains and I sit there eating ritz crackers.

"Have you ever been to a bar?" I question. She looks at me through the mirror, almost contemplating her answer.

"Yes." She quickly says and I stop eating my crackers. I give her a look, so she can elaborate and she sighs. "Sawyer would sneak me in and we'd, you know..." she leaves it at that, letting my imagination carry the rest of her unspoken story.