CHAPTER 15

I didn't know what to expect when I asked Sawyer if I could see my parents. I thought maybe they would still be alive and all I had to do was find them. That maybe they gave me up on accident, that maybe they planned a fake death, that maybe they were trying to protect me and come back someday, that maybe.... I don't know.

Sawyer hasn't tried talking to me since I told him I wanted to be alone.

He keeps his distance as I sit at a bus stop bench. I've cried a few times, but there's nothing I can do about what already has happened.

It's been two hours and still no sign of Evan. I breath out and wipe my snot from my runny nose. 

"You sure they're coming?" I croak. Sawyer is already staring at me. Watching to make sure I don't fall apart again. He still keeps his distance like he's too afraid to take a step closer.

He nods, not wanting to disturb the silence, I guess.

"I'm going for a walk." I tell Sawyer, he nods again and I slowly walk away for the second time.

The street is lonely and dark. I know Sawyer is following at a careful distance, but I ignore him.

I feel a soft poke on my back and I turn startled.

"Jumpy."

I spin around and see Jospeh, Sawyer a few feet back.

Jospeh grins, his smile as familiar as Sawyers scowl.

"I tried calling you..."

"We got the call and traced it here." He informs me and my smile drops. My eyes shoot to Sawyer and I glare at him. Sawyer made me think I marked the wrong number, I knew I was right. 

I repeat the number back to Jospeh and he nods. He grabs my hand, his thumb rubbing my knuckles. The back of my throat itches as I hold back my tears, relieved of seeing Jospeh.

If I weren't so caught up in my emotions I probably would have hugged him, but I didn't.

"I'm glad you found us." My voice shakes as I try to keep it steady. He squeezes my hand and leans down to whisper into my ear.

"I.." I feel him go rigid.

"We need to leave." Sawyer cuts in before he walks back to Evan and the group.

"How are you? Are you okay?" Jospeh asks but Avery cuts in.

"No I'm not okay. Thanks to you the plan is ruined. You're putting us in danger. But no, we can't leave without saving poor Opals ass. So Jospeh can win her undying love. Sawyer you should have just left when she didn't budge." Avery complains.

"Undying love?" Jospeh looks at me. I shrug, feeling my face tinge red.

"Look I know we have a way of doing things, but they have been walking a lot and Sawyer is hurt. Is there any way we can get a car?"

Sawyer shakes his head.

"Renting or calling a taxi would be risky. Whoever is after me will easily trace us. But if  where we're going is far then I'd really appreciate if we took the shortest route." I tell them. I'm not happy with this plan but Sawyer keeps telling me how dangerous everything is.

Evan stays quiet, I expect him to disagree or at least be the leader of the group, but I guess it's Sawyer.

We walk back into the woods, following Evan. It's dark and a little bit chilly. Sawyer immediately stops and I smack right into his back. The first time I did this I was forgiven, but this isn't the first time, more like the tenth time. It's his fault since he insists on walking in front of me.