CHAPTER 9

My mom drags me inside, and I see balloons and a large cupcake in the middle of the dining room table. My heart sinks, and I close my eyes. I can't look anyone in the eye.

I should have never gone to the beach. Now I'm in trouble and there's no way I'm getting out of this.

"Mind explaining?" My mom sits on the couch and she glares at me, her arms are crossed and her leg is over the other, shaking.

"There's nothing to explain..." I tell her and eye the strawberry cupcake. And right on time my stomach growls.

"Who's clothes are you wearing?" She calmly asks, but I know she's pissed.

"I was cold so they let me borrow some warm clothes.." I shrug and step closer to the cupcake.

"Why did he have your shoes?"

"I forgot them there..."

My mom eyes Whit and I turn to look at him. He's trying to hold back a smile.

I'm unsure how to respond or even get out of this entire situation.

"We all know that Maeve has lived a sheltered life. It's easy, I assume for parents to jump to the worst conclusion. But she's bright, naive, but bright. She might not see the wrong she's doing. Don't let it worry you. It's natural part of life to at some point misbehave. She can't be an angel forever. But I'm sure she has learned her lesson..." Whit looks at me and I nod at everything he's saying. My mom seems to have softened up and I stay silent.

I know if I start arguing this whole ordeal will escalate.

"I think I'm going to cry..." My mom says and my dad rolls his eyes.

"Why?" I question.

"You'll always be my baby. And the thought of letting you go scares me. You're an adult." She says and she starts to sob.

I rush to her side, trying to hold back a laugh.

"Mom, I still live with you and dad. I won't consider myself an adult until I move out or something." I tell her and pull her close. She leans into my shoulder. "I love you, and I promise I didn't do anything." I tell her, trying to reassure her. I feel her nod against my neck and she embraces me.

"I love you.." She whispers and kisses the side of my head.

"Now can we forget this whole thing happened and start all over?"

"We can start all over, but your father and I will not forget." She says and I look at my dad.

"Happy birthday bud.." He says and he embraces me in a hug.

I run back to the cup cake and stuff it into my mouth.

"Oh my, this is so good..." I say with a full mouth.

"I made breakfast. French toast anyone?" Whit cuts in and my dad rushes to the kitchen after Whit.

"Hey, we have this for you." My mom says, stopping me from following behind Whit.

"It's a necklace." She smiles and she hands me a small box.

"You didn't have to get me anything.." I tell her, but she just smiles. I slowly open the wooden box. Inside is a silver watch glass necklaces. Looks brand new, no scratches, no smudges.

"It was your moms." My mom whispers.

I carefully take it out of the box, and my mom helps me put it around my neck.

"It's beautiful. You're beautiful." My mom says and I roll my eyes. Her eyes get water again and she shakes her head.

"Let's eat breakfast before I start crying again." She says and guides me to the kitchen.