CHAPTER 87

"You know what's weird?" I say out of the blue. Sawyer and I have been hanging out with each other randomly lately. He's not his usual mean, grouchy, asshole self. He seems to be more calm, the weight of the world gone from his shoulders.

"No." He casually says as he bites into his apple. We're both sitting on grass by the lake. Evan decided we should all take a small little vacation trip to their lake house. According to him it will do us some good.

I stare out at the lake, quiet as ever, except for Sawyers chewing. He's waiting for me to continue knowing I don't care that he says no. I pluck at the grass beneath me and I feel him nudge me with his shoulder. I smile knowing he actually does want me to continue.

"That you've known all your life that you're bound to marry me and I just found out. It's kind of not fair." I tell him.

Sawyer clicks at his tongue and looks at me. I don't let him say anything snarky.

"So, what made you fall deeply and madly in love with me?" I question and finally turn to look at him. He's caught off guard by my question and sort of chokes on his apple.

He composes himself and stays quiet, his eyes wandering all around me face. I didn't mean for the question to be so serious but the way he's looking at me makes me feel like I've ruined the moment.

He looks down at his half eaten apple and kind of chuckles to himself, not an amusing chuckle more like 'how the hell do I answer this without hurting her feelings' kind of thing. I sit there patiently and dreadfully waiting the answer.

Sawyer finally looks me in the eye.

"I think it's best if I don't tell you anything about the future." He says and I frown.

"Sometimes I feel like we aren't married in the future. I know it's stupid because I've seen it, but..." I trail off with my thoughts.

"Our future isn't our future. It's not how it works." He calmly says. "Yes, I know everything about you and everyone you've ever met, but...." He stops not knowing what to say.

"Okay." I shrug. He doesn't want to tell me then he doesn't want to tell me.

"Opal, you have to understand it's not good to dwell on your past and or your future. It messes with your head."

"I said it's okay." I sternly raise my voice. I aggressively grab his apple and take a bite out of it.

I turn away from him and scooch further from him. His eyes are on me the whole time.

"It's your turn to make dinner tonight." I tell him. I don't dare turn to him, my eyes water.

"You're helping right?" He asks and I don't turn to him. As I wipe my tears and he watches as they silently land on the ground.

Sawyer doesn't let our talk bother him the next few days. I'm fact I think he's pitying me. Being extra nice and extra careful around me. Almost as if he thinks I'm going to break. I'm not, I won't.

"If you're looking for Sawyer he's out by the lake." Drew informs when I enter the kitchen.

"I wasn't going to ask where Sawyer..." I stop when Drew throws me a knowing look. Im even ambushed by Avery.

"Please, the moment he wakes up he checks on you and makes sure you're safe. Not even your brother does that." Avery laughs.

"Im just here for food." I tell them.

"It's hot out. Perfect day for a swim." Drew says as he walks out onto the cabin balcony. I quickly grab a banana and head down to the lake.

"Where you going?" I hear Drew yell from the balcony. He knows I'm going to see Sawyer and yet he asks stupid questions.